• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI and Kingston HyperX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miknow

Have a problem I bought this at newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=Model#+KHX3000/512

512 Mb DDR pc3000 installed it on my MSI K7D-L and my D-LED comes out 2 green and 2 red,read the manaul and it says..........Decompressing BIOS image to RAM for fast booting........so i wait about 5 minutes restart and it still hangs at the same spot.....now the question is. Is it not compatible with the MSI? what could i be doin wrong?

This is probably the same issue that Corsair PC2700 or higher memory has, when trying to boot with the memory settings on Auto (the default.)

Here is the solution:

Set the FSB jumper to 100. Boot up the system. I should work, now, albeit at 100 FSB. Go into the BIOS, go into the Advanced Settings page and change your memory settings to manual. Change them to these values:

Now, shut down, put the FSB jumper back on 133 and boot again. It should work now.

Those RAM settings are what I use to run at 150 FSB, so you should have no problems with them. They are high performance settings and the best combination that I'm aware of.

Are you sure it is seated real well and do you have any other RAM you could try? Also, do you have it in the first memory slot (closest to CPU1?)

I have tried combinations I have a ocz pc2400 too so....I put kingston in first slot with ocz in 2nd and no boot also tried putting ocz first kinston second it only reads the ocz I tried both singles kinston no boot ocz boots......I also have another question this ram says 2.5v on the heat spreader what does ram usually run at?

Ram usually runs at 2.5V

Have you tried booting the system with the FSB jumper at 100?

Also, try booting with just CPU1 and a video card and one stick of memory. Nothing else hooked up, just a bare system.

Tried that i have 3 512 mb ddr rams in front of me and tried all the combinations possible....starting to get to the point of frustration either its not compatible or I received a DOA ram from newegg

Has the system ever booted?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS, putting the FSB jumper at 100 and trying from scratch, with a bare system?

tried everything no boot,cleared cmos,FSB to 100, started from scratch, always goes to....GREEN GREEN RED RED.......on the D-LED

So it may not be a memory problem then if you tried alot of different sticks. No offense to the brilliant minds on this forum, but have you tried on the MSI forums? They don't have nearly the amount of people that this forum has but they might specialize a little more with that particular board.

Miknow said:
tried everything no boot,cleared cmos,FSB to 100, started from scratch, always goes to....GREEN GREEN RED RED.......on the D-LED

Have you stripped the system down completely?

Take the motherboard out of the case, run it on a non-conductive surface with nothing hooked up, but PSU, motherboard, one CPU, one stick of memory, a video card, and NOTHING else (with the FSB jumper set to 100.)

If it won't do anything after all this, then it is probably a dead board.

Ok its not a dead board im on it writing this post It just wont boot with the Kingston HyperX....Right now im using my OCZ PC2400 ddr....It will power on with my Kingston but wont show a screen. I tried everything from stripping it to just video and cpu and tried it at 100fsb still no go

Good to know.. I was just thinking of getting hyperX for my dually, but maby I'll just skip.

Or does anyone have it working?

OK i tried it on another comp and it works but to let everyone know hyperx is not compatible with the K7D

Miknow said:
OK i tried it on another comp and it works but to let everyone know hyperx is not compatible with the K7D

Thanks for letting us know.

What BIOS are you running, BTW. Later BIOSes added support for more brands of memory, so, if you are using an early BIOS (before 1.5) than that may be the cause of the incompatibility. If you're using a BIOS before 1.5, then I suggest you flash to 1.5 and give it another go.

Back