• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kt133 and kt133a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[xeno]neophyte

Registered
Does anyone know what the changes were between these two chipsets specifically?
I have the kt133 non-a and I've been trying to get my fsb higher for memory bandwidth. I've got it to post at 130fsb, I had the hd disconnected cuz of the high pci freq. Any higher and it doesn't boot. I've read everywhere about how this chipset doesn't like to go about 110-115fsb but I want to know why.

Any ideas?

It's because it doesnt have a 1/4 divisor so;

115 / 3 = 38MHz PCI BUS
130 / 3 = 43MHz PCI BUS

The SB can not function at those speeds so the newer KT133A has the KT133A NB, which recognizes the 1/4 divisor from the clock generator, & the 686B SB, which is also more tolerant of high bus speeds, to replace it but you probably know that already.

Thats what i was guessing.. but no where actually states thats what the problem was.. in the bios is says the pci bus switches to 34 at 135 but i suspected it wasn't switching.

Thanx for the info :)

[xeno]

The difference between the KT133A and non-a is the FSB it supports. The a version supports 133 FSB sppeds while the non-A only supports 100 FSB. It sounds like the non-A has a 1/4 divisor, but you'll probably never get the board to 133 FSB where the 1/4 divisor would be used,

Aaron

The KT133 is not as good as the KT133A basically. As per VIAs usual process of releasing a chipset asap (aka KT133, KT266) they often release an A version later (KT133A, KT266A). I imagine the KT133A will also fix any bugs in KT133 as well as allowing a higher FSBs.

KT133 isnt viable for any new PC at all, and only useful for Durons or Tbird-Bs.

Back