• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My waterblock is done!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graystar

Introducing the "WhatBlock?" micro waterblock

waterblock.jpg

WB3.jpg

WB4.jpg

This block was made from sheet stock and copper tubing from OnlineMetals. Almost every cut was made with a Skil 4580 jigsaw and metal cutting blade. The holes were made with regular twist drill bits. A Dremel cutoff wheel was used to make the internal cuts on the middle piece.

I made this block to test a couple concepts. The first was to see how well a thin base can perform. The second was to see if a narrow channel would help heat up more of the water.

I can say that this block is performing slightly better than the Ahanix Iceberg1 waterblock. Even with a cheap pump, the flow through the block is substantial, about the same as the Ahanix block. I believe the limiting factor in my setup is the radiator, so I think I'll have even better results when I get a good rad.

Right now the CPU with the micro block is at 43C while the other aircooled processor is at 52C (I got a really hot computer.)

There were concerns about the base bowing. Let me tell ya...this thing is rock solid. I can't bow the base even if I grab the tubes and squeeze really hard. After having it on for a day the base didn't even have a mark from the die. So it's more than strong enough.

Last edited:
thats pretty cool! break out the files and sand paper! shine it up!

Edit: i think we might see i huge rush to the dremel to make these super thin channels. i think they will work very good.

Last edited:
yeah, it works alright, I can stick a dremel attachment in my mill, and cut the channels precicely and use very little of the wheel on it.

I have used it before, It works pretty good, just making them acurate, that doesnt happen very well. but sometimes it doesnt matter.

I think he's using a basic heatsink clip to hold it down (I recall seeing a picture of it in anther thread)

Axle said:
Nice. Hold down?

I'm using the clip from an old SK6 heatsink. It was almost perfect except that my block was actually thinner than the SK6 base so I have to use a couple small pieces of copper to build it up so as to get good pressure. I think I can still use another piece.

Try making anotherone with the channels parralell to the flow and test results it would be neat.

maybe you could take a little more time, It takes time to get a nice finish on those,

Is it ok if i make that block for my own use with some changes?(im a newb trying to get my feet "wet")

Thanks man this will allow me to easyly get my feet wet... btw do you have aim? if so can you post your aim name/pm me it?

thats pretty cool, maybe if you made some sort of stronger mounting bracket you could get better temps, but them again im no expert.

Back