• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD 40gig 7200rpm 8mb cache reliable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

Hey guys, I think I'll be in need for a new hard drive since I'm listening to my hard drive (Quantm Fireball AS 20gig 7200rpm) click. I guess it did serve me well as it stayed at a 41.5mhz PCI Bus for 1.5 years. Anyways, to the point, I need a new hard drive but I'm not sure which one to get. My system will stay at stock since I can't afford to replace things anymore since my money is devoted to badminton.

I'm only looking for 40gigs since I hardly even fill up 20gigs and right now the limit is 40gigs.

Should I get the WD 40gig 7200rpm 8mb cache or a Maxtor 40gig 2mb cache 7200rpm. I heard the Maxtor was still fast as hell.

I mainly only fold and listen to music. The 8mb cache is only 24.00 CAD more after taxes which is not bad. 24.00 more dollars will be very beneficial in the future.

Yodums

If you're not into ocing for benchmarks, or lots of video/photo editing, get the cheaper one (2M buffer) You won't notice a difference for everyday use.

A.

i have 2 80Gb 8mb cache in RAID.. haven't had any problems with them.... quiet too... i've built a lotta rigs with maxtors and their noisy as hell and it bothers me....

and the 8mb cache could come in handy in the future if your hobbies happend to change..

remember it's always better to cut too little than too much

Recently got myself a WD 120GB 7200rpm with 8MB cache. It's great for all the video editing I do. Not noticing much of a change otherwise though...

toastedzergling said:
8Mb WD has 3 year warranty, some retail maxtor boxes may have 3 year, but most of them only 1 year,

Hmm, thanks for that information. I think that piece of information has me set on buying the Western Digital drive as I'll be running my system at stock from now on and that extra 24.00 can save another dead hard drive in the future which would cost 5x that amount.

Thanks for help everyone.

The 3 year warrenty is the thing that would make me make my choise. In two years the drive will be slow anyways, (by that times standards) but atleast you'll be guaranteed to have a working drive. :)

Back