• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before you condemn your particular PSU:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RickShelton

Registered
Before you condemn your particular PSU:
Something to consider is the AC Voltage being delivered to your system. Before you blame alot of problems on your particular PSU look at the AC Voltage coming in. I really feel for people that live near Power plants, Sub-stations or at the end of the line.
I hear of people all the time that have Electronics go bad and they don't know why and alot of it had to do with the AC voltage not being adequate enough and the equipment just plainly over worked itself.
Take a DMM and measure the AC Voltage that is being supplied, you will be surprised at what you find.
If you have less than 110v AC at your oultet, you are going to have problems and you need a good UPS. I have 118-120v at all of my outlets and I don't have any equipment failures. I still have a UPS just to condition the AC line. I am not a Electrician or anything, I just know enough to be "dangerous". :D
So any of you that has more knowledge than me could expand more on the subject.

Rick

Yep!
I used to say the very same things, about checking your wall outlet out first. I got kinda tired of my words falling on deaf ears (or maybe my soapbox was too tall).
Most people will think that testing the wall power to diagnose a problem is kindof crazy, they look around and see that their lights are on, and the tv, stereo, and even the monitor all work fine, so it goes unchecked. But a home PC is THE most sensitive electrical device in your home (unless you have some sort of lab :D ).
And another thing to remember is that most appliances are okay running with the line voltages varying by some degree. A lightbulb will still light at 80 volts, a motor will still turn at 100...

I caught my problem with my older Abit rig, for a week my wall voltage would drop to 108 instead of it's usual 115-118. I plugged it through my line level transformer (expensive, but free to me) and it became rock solid on the very next boot. Sadly, it's bitten the dust now.:(

Back