• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2100+ burn in question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buddha1822

aight... my comp stats are in my sig... its currently running @ 37*C - 42*C (when my room is hot) on standard no o/c.... i wanted to do a burn in and try to do some O/C by the time this LAN party i got comes around on Thursday night, so here is my question...

i am leaving for a trip till wednesday morning, but I have an hour or so right now... can I start up the burn in now, and then monitor temps for an hour, and if they seem "somewhat" ok (like give me a range, its pretty cold now) then am i safe to leave it for that entire time will Wednesday...?

if not, then i'll wait, but i wanna REALLY try this ASAP.

next, should i underclock it to 500mhz and bump the vcore to 1.85 for best settings? if so, what should i put each setting at, like where should the CPU External Freq. be and where should the multiplier be and all.... aight thanks for your help!! :)

anyway i think what youre gonna try wont expand your cpus overclock. To tell you the truth i havent ever tried this myself, i do normal overclocking :)p) without burn in. just raise the freakin voltage at 1.85 push the bus as high as you can, including your memory sticks and try to get the highest freq, run prime95 to assure stability

edit: do you need to keep using high voltages even at 2150 or stock voltage is ok?

Last edited:
Acutally you are right...if you want to do a full burn in...you lower the muti and fsb as much as possable and raise that vcore as much you fell comfortable with, before you leave make sure your getting good temps, not to high...but I did my 2100 at 500 mhz at 2.1 vcore for like 24 hours....helped a lot.

Just my advice....Good Luck

Well lets put it this way....I burned my cpu for about 18 hours at stock and then overclocked it....could only get it to go at 2213...that was the max....everytime I ran toast she would lock.....so then I burned it for 24 hours at low mhz high voltage for 24 hours.....then overclcoked....Now Im at 2301 stable as can be. Im going to keep burning see how how i can get it to go.....

Zindane

Well, burning in draws the transistors closer together, fusing them :eek: and giving you a dead CPU if you do it too much. But overall it shrinks them from say .13-micron to .11-micron, and should give you a higher overclock, CPU defects aside.

Why lower MHz with higher voltage? My theory is that since the transistors are switching slower they are less resistant to shrinking (I.E. shrinkage is more efficient and takes less time).

But I'm pretty sure this lowers the CPU lifetime and also decreases the maximum temperature (And vcore) that the CPU can safely run at... so take caution....

Overclocking period can diminish the life span of a CPU whether you burn it in or not. The majority of us that do overclock dont keep a CPU past the life span of an OC'd XP anyways so in reality that point is moot.

Go to the lowest Multi and FSB and raise the voltages as stable as they can go and burn in from there. Look at it as priming the electrical system of the CPU for some OCing fun.

Yea like CV just said...thats really it...you want the higher vcore to slap the tansistors into shape..aka shinkage...but you really want to lower you mhz becuase of tempature.....I ran mine at 2.1v and she got up to about 35c max with toast....which i think it better than prime. BUt anyway, you try running your 2100 stock at 2.1 with air cooling....and shortly your gonna smell a dead CPU....thats really the reason behind it.... Hopes this helps..

Zindane

Back