• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Must have software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warshed

Registered
OK I was just asking for suggestions for useful software that people generally should have. Nothing specifically oriented towards programming or visual editting, sound manipulation, dvd editting, etc. Just list general software that makes overclocking and running the computer more clean, convienient, and/or efficient. These are some of my recommendations:

PC-Cillian
Popup stopper
Norton system works

What else would you recommend? Links if possible would be nice too. Ohh yeah if its freeware, shareware, trial verision, retail etc would be nice too.

thanks, those will be some of the first things I pickup when I put together my new rig.

Trillian PRO version - the free version just doesn't cut it.... it's worth every penny to buy it.

Norton 2003 or newer - PC shows have copies for 15 bucks... dunno how but it's all legal

WINXP - Can't stress this enough - it's GOd to new pc's....

Winamp - the classic player - now in version 3 its kicking arse with movie support too!

OfficeXP - They say it just isn't enough - but it's also GREAT TO HAVE!

Winzip - Always a great necessity - WINXP can handle it too, just that i think it's a bit easier.

Kazaa Lite - For those of you who DO download music - This version is Ad-free.

WindowBlinds - Great XP cosmetic case

BootXP - Change that ugly black loadup screen. (i personally have the OC logo up! thanks to the swede - forgot the name - SORRY!)

Motherboard MOnitor 5 - Keep those temps under control - Fann accesibilty too.

Samurize - LIVE stats on your desktop -

MOST Of these programs have a thread already started - check a thread named "our desktops" and others....

EEDDDDDDIIIITTTTTT - REDEATHDRINKER is the one that provided the boot screens HEHEHEHE - SORRY!

If it was me I'd reconsider the PC-Cillin and System Works. Perhaps choose one or the other, but they've both always been more of a nuisance to me. Not to say you may not have a use.

Anyway my current util-cd includes (in addition to many previously mentioned)

Zone Alarm (shareware)
RegClean (MS Freeware)
Tweak UI (MS Freeware)
Free RAM XP Pro (Shareware)
Resource Hacker (Freeware)
Ad Aware (Freeware)
Acrobat Reader (Freeware)

Oh, and take the time (especially windows XP) to explore through the windows\system32\ folder. Try out a lot of the Win32 EXEs (one's with non-plain icons) many are highly functional programs. I've integrated program manager and task manager into my everyday use of XP and must say I find both to be highly worthwhile.

Do a forum search. I remember a long tread chocked full of apps answering the very same question.

However I have a few new to me additions:

StreamRipper32 (save those mp3 live streams to play later.

Winamp 2.9 beta (much faster than winamp3 and has more goodies than 2.81)

The latest Nero Enterprise Edition. (it's far from free, but it rocks) U$999 (too rich to keep :()

Rivatuner (overclock your video card with ease)

FAH3 (put those idle cpu cycles towards a noble cause)

Exact Audio Copy and Lame (for ripping CDs into high qualily mp3s)

RazorLame (for encoding wav files into mp3)

FLAC frontend (for lossless compression of highend audio files in both windows and linux)

There's lots more but these are some of my favorites.

Last edited:
I keep these things with me at all times on CD:

Nero Burning ROM (demo version, but when you need to burn, you need to burn..)
WinZIP, WinACE, WinRAR
Phoenix (simple, quick browser)
IE6 Network Install
Media Player 6.4 Installer (I don't approve of any versions higher than 7)
Radeon Tweaker
Bootdisk images for Floppy Linux, Win95, Win98 Start disks, Maxtor HD Util (for low-level formats and diags), Ghost
DirectX 8.1 (havn't updated my cd in a while) for 9x and NT
Win2k SP3
WinXP SP1
Win95 SP1
TweakUI for Win2k, WinXP, 9x
Sandra (diags and benching)
MBM5
Zonealarm

I always keep Norton AV installed aswell.

heres some i use to have (search google for actual website :D)

Mirc
MyIE2
Virtual drive
Riva tuner
Making waves ( Professional tool :D )
Paint Shop Pro 7
jv16Powertools ( great stuff that clean all your obsolete registry !)
Partition Magic

here's one i just got a couple weeks ago that i wont ever go without again

Alcohol 120%

This program is awesome for those of us with only one cd rom and tons of games to play.

Gone are the days of switching out CD's and now i have a back up copy of most of my games. Good stuff it is.

Daemon Tools does something similar to Alcohol 120%. Nero has a similar util aswell, but I believe it only does .NRG files.
Alcohol does all image types, but daemon tools is free..

Back