• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dialup connection problem with 2 networked PC's.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

Ok, I have 2 PC's in my house networked and sharing a dial up connection. I dont share the connection at the same time, b/c thats incredibley slow, the only reason I do it so I dont have to run a phone line to the other PC, just the LAN cable...

Anyway, when the primary computer (the one that connects to the net) is the only one on, it dials using a box like this:

photo28.jpg

And it connects fine, no problems.

But if the other computer is on too, and I try to connect to the internet, it dails using a window like this:

photo29.jpg

The problem with this is that it never connects using this window, it always fails, which looks like this:

photo30.jpg

I've checked in every sort of place that I can change internet settings and I dont know why it says my info is wrong.

So when that starts dailing I have to press cancel, THEN it pops up the normal dial up window (the one that it uses when just the one computer is on) and connects fine.

Why does it use the other window/dails different when both PC's are on? How do I get rid of this annoying problem?

Any help would be great!

One is attemping to connect to the other computer, the other is connecting you to the internet or any other network connected.

You can tell by the two different icons in the two different windows. The conflict resides in the network settings between your two comps...I am assuming.

I cant see your pics but...

The with the modem needs to have connection sharing setup on it. It must allow other pcs to connect through it.

The other one needs to connect through the LAN. The other one must be on at the same time.

I know through xp, when you use the other pc to try and connect, the pc with the modem with dial up automaticly.

arrgg, the site must be down, try right clicking and selecting show picture just for the heck of it..

I'm using XP Pro and XP Home....

Nevermind, after a few headaches and a lot of tweaking I think I fixed it....

Back