• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this sound right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MichaelMu

Ok, im running 2400+ at 1.82v. My water cooling setup goes res to pump to block to radiator to pump. My setup is outside the case except for block. Im taking water temps in the res. My pump is danner mag 950 (950 gph, 14'hd) and is inline and my block is white water.

temps:

room - 20.7c
water - 24c
system - 24c
cpu - 30c

Seems my cpu temp is too high considering my water temp. Is this because:

a) The water is getting heated alot by the pump and by the time I measure the temp the heater core has cooled it alot

b) The White Water block does not deal well with such a high flow.

c) the temps seem fine

The reason Im asking is I had before a much smaller pump submerged and my water temps were around 4c higher on avg but the cpu temps are about the same.

Last edited:
It would seem to me that since your water (after the block, I presume) is so much cooler than your CPU that your flow rate is too high. Try slowing it down. The easiest way would be to just restrict some of the tubing with a clothes pin (do be careful).

or do what i do to slow down the flow, and put on a ball valve on befor the final tube thta goes to the cpu. this way you can tweak the flow to whateveryou want. i had to do this because my pump was makin noise due to the restriction of the block. block cant flow that much so my pump was rattling and makin excess heat. oh by the way i got a 700gph submersible pump in a 10 gallon res

my pump is cool and very quiet, cant hear it unless I put my ear right next to it. Dint think you could have too much flow if the pumps not putting out much heat. I guess what I saying is I thought the water temp was the most important..ie..colder water...lower cpu temps

I think the temps are fine buddy. Dont reduce the flow rate. The temps measured on die aren't all that accurate. For example my Abit NF7-S overestimates temps of between 5-10C. A better measure is the stability of your system.

RadRacer said:
1) It would seem to me that since your water (after the block, I presume) is so much cooler than your CPU that your flow rate is too high. Try slowing it down. 2) The easiest way would be to just restrict some of the tubing with a clothes pin (do be careful).

1) Slower flow does not ever help the effectiveness of a waterblock unless the slower flow is a cost of a design that increases surface area or turbulence. Faster flow improves waterblock performance. Billa has shown this, as he states it:
The very significant benefit from higher waterblock flow rates is clear, but this is directly the opposite of the optimum for radiators.

The "sweet spot" determined by throttling the pump output is simply the balancing of the compromised performance of both the waterblock and radiator. This point will be different for each combination of components, and will not exist at all for systems where the waterblock performance gain exceeds the radiator impairment; for such systems more coolant flow is always better, much more.

The entire article is a good read if you pick out the interesting points; it is a bit lengthy and drawn out if read front to back, but it is very informative. Recommended reading -> http://www.overclockers.com/articles481/

2) Restricting the tubing is a bad option. Restricting the flow will cause the WB to be less effective, and it will also increase the heat output of the pump. Slower flow may benefit the heat exchanger, however it will likely not benefit the overall system because that advantage will be outweighed by the increased heat output of the pump and reduction of the WB performance IMO. The only way that restricting the flow will improve the performance of the system is if the the benefit to the heat exchanger is greater than the disadvantage to the pump and WB.

MichaelMu said:
a) The water is getting heated alot by the pump and by the time I measure the temp the heater core has cooled it alot

b) The White Water block does not deal well with such a high flow.

c) the temps seem fine

First of all, read this link: http://www.overclockers.com/articles481/
It will likely answer your questions completely and probably answer some things you hadn't asked yet also.

a) This is not the case. With the high flow rate your pump creates, the temperature of your water from one point in the loop to another definetly varies by less than .5C. So the hottest water in your loop is no more than half a degree different than the coolest water, and it is probably much less different than that.

b) EVERY WB is made better by giving it a higher flow rate. This is not true for the heat exchanger according to BillA. So the high flow rate that may be present in your system could only help your water block, though it might hurt in relation to other components in your loop like pump heat input and the effectiveness of the heat exchanger.

c) The temps do seem fine.

Back