• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thursday. Friend's money. 2500+B construction.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InThrees

My buddy just dropped a load of cash at newegg - some of the highlights of the purchase include:

One Barton 2500+
One Asus A7N8X m/b
Swiftec MCX462+ HSF
Ti4800
1 Gig of Crucial PC3200

We're putting it together thursday (packages should arrive on wednesday, but we're both working).

Afterwards, I'll post highlights of the overclocking festivities and let you guys know what we could hit out of the box with that setup.

can'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twaitcan'twait hahaha :p

I would have gone with Abit NF7-S and Geil pc3700 platinum its the best board and in my eyes the best memory I can run 466mhz fsb and at cas 2.5-3-3-6-all day long and without any vmods and the Abit gives you chipset voltage up to 1.7v and thats moddable by using a pencil on a resistor to 2.13v and the vcore goes up to 2.3v so no mod needed there and it does 233mhz fsb out of the box no mod needed and its $25 cheaper than the Asus with better build quality...

BEST. RUN-ON SENTENCE. EVAR!!

He got the A7N8X because a) it's still a very respectable nf2 solution and b) it's got the extras he wants.

Also, crucial is a good name, good warranty, should be fine. I'm personally hoping for FSB in the vicinity of 200 mhz, but I'm going to stop when the ram can't do cas2 anymore, most likely.

lol, i think the 2 extra .'s at the end should have been put somewhere in the middle:p

personally i woulda grabbed cosair (since u were spending a bucketload) or kingston hyperX..........but crucial is really good DDR........though 1 gig is definitely overkill:rolleyes: I woulda also gotten a SLK900 instead of the swiftech........well, cant wait for ur overclocking results and benches

why did you buy a Ti4800? it's nothing more than a Ti4600 with AGP 8x support, which is useless for modern games. and the Radeon 9500 Pro kills the Ti4800, so you should have bought that.

a) I didn't buy all this stuff, my bud did.
b) He, like me, has had awful experiences with ATI cards in the past, and they quite frankly frighten him. Yes, some of those ATI cards were fairly recent, too, when he was troubleshooting friends' boxes. I suppose he got the 4800 because he was comfortable with it.

Anyway, he actually currently has several computers, but the fastest one is a Pentium II 300. No, that's not a typo. Regardless of the amount of (possibly justifiable) second guessing on purchasing decisions, the box we build with the parts mentioned will be fast as hell, and will definitely make him happy.

And he's all about overclocking it, too, wh00t.

Back