• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a new PSU lower CPU temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ice Cool

Registered
Hi Everyone!

I have just built a P4 2.53GHZ rig, and my temps under load are a little high (53c).

I have a Tsunami 400W PSU which does not seem to be expelling much air – it only has one fan, and does not alter speed with higher temps, and I think could be improved upon. I am looking at the 350W Enermax Dual Fan PSU – will this make much of a difference to my temps?

Also, will the 350W Enermax have enough juice for a P4 2.53 with 512MB Ram, 2 HDD, CD-RW and DVD and GF4?

Thanks

A dual fan PSU could lower temps, no guarantee though. I would strongly recommend an Antec True Power over the Enermax... The Antec has dual fans but has much better voltage regulation than Enermax. I would go for a 400W or more, 350 is a bit weak.

well, for the same amount of money or less, you can keep the psu you have now, and get yourself a decent cpu cooler and that will guarantee you lower temps.

the 350 enermax will be enough to hold those items, and so will your current psu rated at 400.

i used to run a 350 antec psu on a xp1800 single rig and had 1 hdd, all 4 bays filled, an ls120 drive and gf 4 with a bunch of fans and a swiftech delta fan and did not experience psu problems even while i overclocked.

get urself a sparkle.. save the trouble of ever having to upgrade under the ATX spec again. :p

350W is more than enough.

Most of us don't need even more than 300W, some would even do with 250W

The important things with a PSU is how many amps you get out of the rails, and how many W the +5 and +12V combined is..

It doesn't matter if you have a peak W of 400 if the PSU in reality does not put out more power on the +5 and +12 V compared to a high quality 300W psu.

Most computers won't use more than maybe ~250W max.. which means.. get a high quality psu, with lower peak W instead of a crap PSU with high W. In the end you will benefit from the quality over the W.

It's the same like if you compare speakers. The PMPO of speakers can basically made to whatever you want. How many times haven't we seen those small speakers that they claim are several 100 W.. however, always look at the RMS W that is the mean W that it puts out, not the peak. Same theory should be applied to PSUs.

Yup. Read larva's sticky on the top of this forum for more in-depth info on this.

Soy

If you're not happy with the amount of air your PSU fan moves you could always just change the fan. It isn't difficult to do. Just keep in mind two things:

1) Working inside a PSU is not like working inside the computer case, you need to let the charge in the capacitors run down or else you could give yourself a serious shock. Just let the system sit for several hours unplugged, not just turned off and don't touch anything you don't need to.

2) If you do open up the PSU, even if just to clean it, you will void your warranty.

Thanks everyone!

I have just installed a slot blower under my GF4 - seems to have taken egde of case temps - may well follow advices from Nunez1980 & Enemy Down! and get a new CPU cooler rather than a new PSU.

Thanks a bunch to every1 who replied - this forum is great for newbies like me!

:)

I think 300-watts are more then enough!! The only people that need 500-watt PSU's are ones that overclock and run tons of devices and drives, and those who like to brag :)

Back