• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux RAID cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Hey all, I am looking to add a RAID card to my Redhat 8 fileserver box (in sig). I am NOT looking to set up a software RAID in Linux. I want to set one up using drivers/firmware/etc with a real RAID card and not just an ATA100 controller card.

Currently the RAID is partitioned/formatted in NTFS and running in my KT7A-Raid. I will be wiping it clean (2x 100 GB WD1000BB drives, RAID 1) and putting it in the Linux system (and transferring all my files over from backup). I would just use software RAID but I want to be able to have a Windows partition on that drive just in case I want to dual boot it with Win2K.

I will not be loading the OS from the array, the OS will be on a seperate drive.

That being said, is there a good ATA100 RAID card out there with good Linux support? I was looking at a Highpoint RocketRAID 133. ($45 from Axion Technologies). Basically all I am looking for is something similar to an onboard RAID solution.

sb

Highpoints are supported, but I hear the driver is really shoddy.

I've got a friend who's set up lots of Linux servers with Adaptec's ide raid cards, he says they work great.

I'm currious why so many people want raid on thier workstations, the only reason for it is data redundency, and I think striping is pretty dangerous. Lose any 1 drive and all the data on all drives is toast. It's also slower.

Linux handles multiple disks and partitions much better than windows, even as a file server, unless you want all 200gb of data in 1 directory you're prolly better off to not use it.

If you want to use it I've always had success with the raid cards that come with dell servers.

Actually this will be a RAID 1 array. I don't attend the church of striping.... ;) ..... definitely more interested in data security.

Any word on Silicon Image chipset cards?

Back