• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Kingston Kingmax memory of any quality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ri0_6667

I was just wondering if this model (Kingmax) had any reputation at all? I have one stick but it wont oc too high, it was a bit more expensive than noname generic but im still kinda curious.

I have a 256 Kingmax that I just replaced with a 512 Kingston Hyper X. I needed it for Forgotten Battles.
For relatively inexpensive PC2700, it wasn't bad. It was able to run up to 173 FSB with Turbo settings, 2.8 volts, but it wouldn't run CAS 2, had to be set at CAS 2.5.
When I replaced it with the new stuff, I was getting nervous because it wasn't working right. Turned out it didn't like the voltage, I had to turn it down to 2.6 volts. Now it is running at 173, and CAS 2.
I knew I should have started out at default, but I really didn't expect the memory to not run correctly because of 2.8 volts.

Kingston is in my "big three" memory brands you can trust. Those being Corsair (highest overclocks) Crucial (best all around) Kingston (most reliable)

There are other good brands but the quality of these three generally goes undsiputed. Not to say you'll never get a bad stick, but other brands have at least some past customers who are wary of them based on experience.

PS Samsung too, but I don't hear as much about them since Winbond started making faster chips.

don't forget mushkin and twinmos which are up there with corsair, and mushkin in my knowledge having some of the best service and overclockability

my big 3 = corsair, mushkin, twinmos

big value = crucial, kingston

these are all very reliable brands

Back