• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low level format??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlemieux

Cyber Deal King
Is there any other way to know that a drive is completely cleared? I want to sale my HD but I don't want someone being able to pull CC numbers and such. Thanks.

Hmmm, best way would be a huge drive degausser...but I'm not sure, they might destroy the drive which would kinda defeat the purpose :rolleyes:

I'm sure a LLF would suffice though, by then it would probably take some tough work for someone to pull data off of it. I'm sure it'd still be possible, but expensive to do.

As for degaussers, I'm sure a large magnet would do the trick, but again, that might destroy the drive.

Anyone have more info?

A low-level format will be sufficient for most home users to completely remove all data from a hard drive.

Note that this does not meet DoD requirements which specify specialized disk "scrubber" software that repeatedly overwrite numerous times to ensure no data can be recovered.

This belongs in Storage. Please post in the appropriate sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back