• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General question concerning cases and fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sk-

I am going to purchase a case soon and most likely I am going to get the popular Chieftec Server Chasis Workstation case http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...62-01.jpg/11-125-262-04.jpg/11-125-262-02.jpg.

Now there is the normal version for 45 dollars and a modded version which comes with a window and costs 50 dollars. I am not a modder [ well not anymore ] and I am wondering does the plexiglass window affect the air that is being pushed by the intake fans? Should I stick with the normal version which is steel all around?

Finally my other question is concerning fans. I am going to purchase the CoolerMaster -B83 Single Ball Bearing Fan since it pushes nice amounts of air at resonable DBA level [ 26dba ] and it costs 5 bucks :). Is it overkill to have 4 case fans? [ 2 intake/2 exhaust ] also my Antec True380watt psu intake fan will act as a exhaust.

Should I just have 2 intake and 1 exhaust?, I would like to have 2 intake because I can cool my hard drive aswell which is nice even though it prolly isnt needed.

Thank you for all of your input.

Windows don't affect anything but EMI.

It depends - my system runs fine with just one fan exhausting. There's a reason the OEM's don't load their machines up with fans galore ;)

ElectroMagnetic Interference-basically, its the degree to which an electronic system is able to function with other electronic systems and be susceptible to or produce interference. An example would be having a monitor too close to an unshielded case, where a signal passes into the case and interacts or interferes with a device in the case.

thanksfortheinfo.jpg

That is my favorite case at any price, at $45 it's a steal. Two 80mm fans in the exit location is fine, the other 2 in the lower front don't do much. But the fans that come with the Chieftec's are really mild, so some of the coolermaster ones you mentioned are a good idea. Buy 3 and the shipping is free. They are nice fans, I've used them. I would use two of the Coolermaster's in the rear location, and move the OEM Chieftec's to the front location.

All in all, a great choice. In combination with your True Power 380 it will make a dynamite setup.

thank you for all the information.

Also how much CFM do those coolermaster fan push out? Newegg only states then dba.

Also I want to add ramsinks to my TI4200 video card and I cant decide on which epoxy to use. There is the Artic Silver Epoxy and then there is the Artic Alumina Epoxy. The alumina is 4 dollars cheaper and I am wondering if it is worth getting the silver epoxy instead...

Oh I can get Panaflo L1A fans, but I am worried that they are kinda weak, I mean 24cfm. Would you get the panaflos L1A's over the coolermasters that I want to get? Noise is a little issue, I mean I want a quiet computer but I dont need the computer to be totally silent, I am not a noise freak ;).

Lasty does anyone know the difference between Tweakmonster standard ramsinks and Tweakmonster BGA ramsinks.

Which should I get for my Geforce4 ti4200 128MB video card?

Thank you for all the help

Last edited:
sk- said:

Also how much CFM do those coolermaster fan push out? Newegg only states then dba.

Also I want to add ramsinks to my TI4200 video card and I cant decide on which epoxy to use. There is the Artic Silver Epoxy and then there is the Artic Alumina Epoxy. The alumina is 4 dollars cheaper and I am wondering if it is worth getting the silver epoxy instead...

Oh I can get Panaflo L1A fans, but I am worried that they are kinda weak, I mean 24cfm. Would you get the panaflos L1A's over the coolermasters that I want to get? Noise is a little issue, I mean I want a quiet computer but I dont need the computer to be totally silent, I am not a noise freak ;).

Lasty does anyone know the difference between Tweakmonster standard ramsinks and Tweakmonster BGA ramsinks.

Dont listen to him about the ram sinks

I think the best fan out there right now for cases and HS's is thermal takes smart fan, It's quiet when not being used and pushes out 84cfm (dont quote me on that) @ full power.

sk- said:

The coolermaster fans develop 33CFM. I built a machine with 4 of them in it , and the noise was not oppressive. Two of them in the back of the case and the two OEM Cheiftec fans in the front would be a nice noise/performance compromise. The coolermasters push a healthy amount of air for their moderate noise and cost.

The Panaflo fans are very nice as well. I've got some of the 39cfm versions coming on the cheap from here:

http://www.mpja.com/product.asp?product=14377+FN

In a properly designed case like the Chieftec the exhaust fans do all the work. Using a stout exhaust fan is not as noticeable as it is in the rear of the machine rather than pointed at your ears as the intake fans are. I feel stouter fans like the coolermaster or the panaflo 39cfm are perfect for the rear, as they will markedly help case ventilation without being that obvious to the ear. The mild and virtually silent fans that come with the case are perfect for the front, as the don't assault the ears and the case will ventilate as well with no fans in the front. Whatever air the rear fans exhaust has to enter the case somewhere, and the holes in the lower front are that somewhere regardless of whether you place a fan in them or not.

Personally I also feel the ram sinks are a waste of time. In any event you would need to get the regular ones, the BGA types are intended for the BGA ram that the Ti4400 and 4600 use.

um yea Ramsinks are not realy going to help you at all. they are purly cosmetic for standard systems if you ask me. you may be able to drop a few degress if you have a well aimed high CFM fan in the side fo your case (i have a 35CFM in the side of my case, dosent help it OC but it makes me feel better aobut ocing it :)) for your vid card i would definetly recommend the Thermaltake GF4 all copper cooler but forget the Ramsinks that come wiht it. they suck. make sure you dont buy it for anymore than 16 dollars or u are getting ripped off. And yes 2 front intake are a very good idea to have. it keeps air moving through at a steady current. if you have all exhaust then you are going to make a vaccum (you cant blow out whats not there) make sure your 2 intake CFM are = to the exhaust CFM.

Take a case with nothing but a rear exhaust fan, and place your hand behind it. Air exits. As long as there is a sufficient opening in the case somewhere to feed it, there need not be another fan in the opening. The big problem is most case manufacturers put holes all over the damn place, rather than forcing the air to enter the lower front like the Chieftec does. Most cases benefit from lower front intake fans because that is the only way to produce a proper bottom-to-top airflow pattern, but since he has chosen one the very few properly designed cases on the market this band-aid is not necessary. As long as the only openings are the exit holes in the rear and the intake holes in the lower front, the intake fans are virtually worthless. It's the leakage from the band-aid holes scattered everywhere in between on most cases that prevent proper intake without intake fans.

if you are talking about system ram sinks then no they dont do anything, however if your talking about videocard (which now i feel your not) then i have to disagree

Back