• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

questions on 550 trupower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have noticed this problem with the true power supplies.I have a true blue 480 watt antec and i have the same issue Voltages do not go down significantly when large load is put on the power supply, so i believe it is a resistance problem in either the atx connector, wires, or connection with the power supply. I am currently investigating this to see if i can correct the problem.

This has been covered ad-nauseum, but those embedded voltage monitoring circuits on motherboards are not very accurate. Also, the voltages drop a little as a function of the resistances in the wires running from the PSU to the ATX connector, the resistances across the mating surfaces of the ATX connector pins and the resistance in the circuit board traces from the ATX connector to where the monitoring circuitry physically resides. The only way to accurately tell what your PSU is actually putting out is to measure the output voltages with a known good voltmeter and do so at the PSU. It is not unheard of for the +5V output to be 5.00 at the PSU, 4.95 at the ATX connector, 4.8V on the other side of the ATX connection and 4.75 at the actual monitoring circuit input.

Hoot

That may be true, but still it's considerably lower than the 431 enermax. Read from the same monitors. This is the first psu I've had these read lower than what they should be.

Let me know if you come up with anything default. I'm pretty disappointed and if I didn't already promise my enermax to my friend, I'd consider putting it back in.

I have compared the atx connectors of my current antec and my old enermax silent 430watt and from what i can see the enermax definatly has better connectors. I believe the only way around this is to physicaly replace the atx cable or improve upon it like i plan to do ;)

Ram96 said:
That may be true, but still it's considerably lower than the 431 enermax. Read from the same monitors. This is the first psu I've had these read lower than what they should be.

Let me know if you come up with anything default. I'm pretty disappointed and if I didn't already promise my enermax to my friend, I'd consider putting it back in.

So what is the computer for? To generate meaningless numbers? Hoot's right, the number of "WTF my 12V reads 11.9V!" and "OMG, my temperature reads 43C and I KNOW it should be 41!" posts get truly annoying. The point is stability, not how close the voltage reads to 12V with the stupidly innacurate motherboard sensors. If the goal is simply to generate a particular set of numbers, buying a PC for that sole purpose is a rather expensive way to accomplish it.

It doesn't matter if your Enermax read a bit higher...

Yes Larva is right, you're well within the stability range. You can't expect the voltages to be excat, what's important is that they don't significantly drop when you place a load on them, because that's what causes the instability. The truepowers are good, because they can provide relatively constant voltages at high loads.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I understand you are not responsible for the entire avalanche of posts like this we get, just this one. And don't feel that we aren't willing to help, virtually anyone here will bend over backwards to help in any way we can, but you have to have a problem first. There is no elegant solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Welcome to the forums :)

I've been reading here for awhile now. Just never registered til recently. Thought I had a fairly legimate concern. I just put the thing in and haven't even started overclocking or putting it to the test.

larva said:
The point is stability, not how close the voltage reads to 12V with the stupidly innacurate motherboard sensors.

What is the range in stability? 10%? My Enermax is off, but I know it's gonna be off a little.

Also, this was just one more step in an effort to make sure I had the best to aid in trying to solve my overclocking woes with this setup.
I was unable to even disable spread spectrum with my kingston 333. Now I've got the xms and I can overclock a little but not much. I'll lock in 3dmark or get booted to the desktop.
Games are a bit more tolerant but after shutting down the other day I locked in sof2 almost immediately at 174fsb. Had to back off to 169. Before my shutdown I was playing at 174. I should be able to go much higher I would think. Cooling is not an issue.
Any ideas?

well I just tried 174fsb again and I lock almost immediately running 3dmark. Tried upping the voltage on the cpu first...no go.
Then on the agp...no go.

I just cannot get this thing to overclock worth crap.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I'll leave you something in my will. ;p

Is it because this 9700 pro just does not like the increased fsb?

Back