• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooled psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prandtl

Anyone know how much heat the 5 voltage regulator are putting out?? I'm watercooling my Sparkle 350W, cpu, gpu and northbridge and at first i tought i could go passive (5 gal reservoir), but my water is getting pretty warm in about 1-2 hours and right now my room temp is about 20 and this summer it will be 30, so that is a no go. But in order to keep my system quiet i would like to use a chiller, but i would need to know how much heat my system is putting out in total...

Can't help you with that, but if you tell us what kind of chiller you are considering using then I might be able to tell you if you need to bother with calculating the total heat output.

well, thats the point i'm still undecided on what chiller to use..but
at first i was thinking of something along the way of what Cathar is doing :
peltier-based chiller

the difference will be i wont use it for super high performance, just to keep my system water at about ambient. I was in the impression that watercooling the hot side of the peltier with water that is passively cooled (my 5gal res) would be sufficient for what i had in mind, but i guess i could tolerate a big fan (preferably 24v) running at low voltage or drive by a temperature controller (i do have some basic knowledge in electronic).
So, do you think it could work passively? Also, what peltier should i get (that is where knowing the heat output will help)?

No, peltiers cannot be cooled passively, and your water would heat up even faster than before.

The general rule of thumb is that you want a peltier whose input wattage doubles your cpu's output wattage.

A peltier actually increases the amount of heat involved in the system, it does NOT reduce it.

yea, its what i thought, peltier are really just heat pump, taking heat from one side to another+their own heat!

Back