• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

applets and workspace switching in Gnome 2.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I apt-get upgraded Debian, and ended up with Gnome 2.2. The sub-pixel text rendering is dead sexy, but I there are a couple things that really bug me:
1) How do I add applets other than those on the menu by default? I want to add the xmms applet and the merlin-clock applet, but they don't show up on the "Add to Panel" menu when I right click on the panel, and I can't find any documentation about what files to edit to add them.
2) How do I get the more "advanced" options in the sawfish config tool? I used to be able to choose how advanced I wanted my settings to be, but now it seems like I'm stuck with what the writers of Sawfish liked.

Ozzman: I gave you instructions in another thread.

Christoph: Because many applets have not been rewritten for gnome 2 yet the only applets you can use are the ones that come with it and the ones that are in apt. There might be a few more that you can find on gnome.org, but most don't work.

Are there some specific applets you're looking for? Maybe I can suggest an alternative or you're just looking in the wrong place for them?

Yes, I'm looking for a substitute for the XMMS applet and for a clock applet (not just the text applet).
If it'll happen eventually, I don't mind so much. I just wanted to know why there was such a limited selection.
Thanks.

After a quick search I realy don't see anything for gnome2. You could rewrite the ones that you want for gnome 2, but for most people that isn't an option.

For xmms, what one of my friends did was install the command line controller for it, then bind keys to certain actions, like ctrl+F8 to play and stuff like that. It doesn't look cool, but it works well.

I did find a metric clock app, but I think you'll be late for everything if you try converting to metric time.

I saw that too. 10 hours/day, 100 minutes/hour, 100 seconds/minute.
It'll never catch on. If I'm going to stay up all night, I want to see a big beefy number like 23:45 on my clock, not some weeny 9:75. :D:D

Back