• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a Quiet PSU, help pls!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pockytofu

Registered
As of now, I am trying to minimize the noise from my comp and I recently redid my watercooling set-up.
I am looking for a quiet power supply for not more than $75.
I saw the 120mm, 350W Fortron and that seems pretty good, but I am also looking for other alternatives.
I have a 450W raidmax now, looks cool but it's noisy and the lines aren't that great either.
BTW, I am running 2 hds, 1 cdrw, 1700+ T-bred A O/C to 1905mhz, and a GeForce3 Ti200.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can get an antec true380 at newegg.com for 70.99, 77.99 w/shipping. In the reviews they said it was a really quiet ps. I also have an 350watter running in my athlon machine and it is quiet as can be. Haven't got to try out my true430 yet!:)

The Sparkle/Fortron 350 should do you good. It runs 220W on the 3.3 & 5V rails combined & the thing is almost dead silent. I'm running it on my system now ([email protected], 2 hdd, 1 CD-ROM, 1 zip100, DDR-333--can't remember stock voltage--) and it's working great!

Soy

Thx for the replies!!!
Yeah, I was leaning on the Fortron mainly cause it gots the 120mm and for $50, thats not too bad.
I am probably gonna order it tommorrow if I don't find any better options.

Okaie, I'm gonna go for the Sparkly,hehe.
Soon I will have a whisper quiet system, maybe....

Thx for the replies!

Must agree with the fortron recommendation... 120mm bottom fan with holes stamped out of the back...

They had ones in Cebit with a knob for adjusting the fan speed. Also a prototype with knobs (attached to pots) for adjusting the +5v and +12v rails. :eek:

nerdlogic, the fortron seems dead silent to you cause you got that tornado fan on your HS.I have the same loud fan and i cant hear my psu, and mine is the 80mm version of the tornado!

Last edited:
I just ordered one last night, seems like xpdirect is the only place that sells the 350watt version though.
Depending on the airflow of the psu, I might have to increase the size of my 80mm intake fan.
Having negative air pressure in your case is bad right?
I thought i read it somewhere that it is detrimental to cooling.

Back