• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Universal Buslink suck? (52x24x52x CD-RW DRIVE)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xAlucarDx

Registered
So, i have to back up my system and i was at best buy with some gift certificates from dumb family memebers that got me Best Buy gift certificates and i had to spend it on something... so I see a $20 52x24x52x CD-RW and I was tempted enough to pick it up. Its $70 with a $50 mail in rebate. If anyone knows anything about these Buslink CD-RWs id like to hear if it is total crap, because i plan on taking it back ASAP if it is. Thanks for any input.

~Alucard

DON'T BUY IT

Rebates are lies, you'll never get that money back.

If you want to buy something, don't buy it because of the price after rebate. No one ever gets their rebates back, The company will fight you tooth and nail, call you a lier and threaten to sue YOU, the customer, to prevent them from having to give up the money.

eh, ive done it before and have gotten my money... so i dont knwo what to say about that. but there is good news - it is totally a repackaged Lite On CD-RW, after doing some reading i learned this, and then after comparing this to a picture I can tell that its true. they are IDENTICAL, im not even kidding... if you dont believe me IM me - SmellsLikeGrunge or GrungeForDummies. I will send you pics of each.. they are repackaged Lite Ons for $20 I would reccomend this to anyone.

~Alucard

Thats so awesome!!! I had no clue what i was buying when I got it, i figured "hmm, it sucks then i'll just bring it back" then i start reading that these are light ons, and im kind of in disbeief..... eventualy i decide to open it and then compare it to a picture of a lite on, and its not mistakable, it IS a lite on. it even says Lite On in my device manager..... ahh, $19 lite on glory! =D =D =D

~Alucard

i have a 48x buslink and it is an Aopen drive.

reliably writes at 24x anything higher and the cd is a coaster.

Most Buslinks are Lite Ons, look for a model number on it. If you go to anandtech's hotdeals forums and do a search, I am sure you can find some post that will show you how to tell.

As for rebates, Best Buy rebates are great. I have never failed to get one of theirs(actually never failed to get a rebate). BestBuy's come to you in the period they tell you while CompUSA and some others(CompUSA is one of the worst) will wait at least 3 months if not more.

I would go for it.

Sounds like you did and you got a Lite-On. Congrats.

Beast Of Blight said:
DON'T BUY IT

If you want to buy something, don't buy it because of the price after rebate. No one ever gets their rebates back, The company will fight you tooth and nail, call you a lier and threaten to sue YOU, the customer, to prevent them from having to give up the money.

That has never happened to me on many rebates that I have sent in. All you have to do is make copies of everything you send in and you have more than enough proof. Any company that threatens to sue is blowing some hot smoke. Just mention some buzzwords like State Attorney's general office and Better Business Bureau.

But then again, it does depend on the company that is doing the rebates. Fuji has a wonderful rebate program as does Bestbuy. CompUSAs is horrid, though I have eventually gotten all my rebates from them. Hi-Val/IoMagic/PacificDigital are really bad if the rebates go to them. They are like CompUSA, cept they like to loose rebates too. This is where the copies you make come in handy to fax to them.

yeah, on the forum i was reading someone else said that they got aopen, that is very unfortunate =( If mine wasnt a Lite On I would have just tried to bring it back to best buy. Can someone tell me why this is a lite on? I keep thinking about why lite on is being sold under buslink.. they are THE EXACT SAME DRIVE!!! My device manager has it listed as LITE-ON LTR-522246S which is the exact same number as the lite-on "real" version of it. is there any differnece at all? I just dont get why this is how it is, it doenst make sense =/

~Alucard

No difference at all. Lite-Ons biggest business is in making the drives and selling them to another company which sells the drive under its name. Its called rebadging. A lot of the smaller companies that don't have the resources to make the drives themselves(or don't want to have to bother with doing so) will buy them from whomever gives them a good deal. So Buslink will buy from Lite-On and Aopen.

Beast Of Blight said:
DON'T BUY IT

You know not of what you speak. I have never failed to receive a rebate from Best Buy. It takes a while, but it always comes through for me.

The drive is a Lite-On, and if you like the deal, then buy it. I have more than one Lite-On drive and they have performed better than my Yamaha drives have and for less money too. Lite-On is currently the largest optical drive manufacturer in the world right now. They also OEM their drives for Dell, among others.

I have a Lite-On 52-24-52, and it is accurate and quiet. It isn't a Plextor, but then it isn't nearly as expensive either...

N_D

I _LOVE_ my lite-on =D im going on the 30th CD so far with it (backing up for a format) and i just love it!! of course im going from an 8x so the 2:30 it takes to burn a CD amazes me.

~alucard

Back