• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fully open ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZaTaN

Registered
I have my case fully open (left and right panels off)
Should i close it and put intake and exaust fans ?
What's better for air cooling ?

Thanks a lot.

i have found out that with my case open it stays cooler. but i also have a copy of fans on it, so it sounds like an airplane getting ready for take off. if you dont mind the noise i would try that.

yeah, leave yer case panels off, unless you care about noise and aesthetics. me, i can't stand noise, and a prerequisite for going in my case is that it was to look cool. so it's not for me. but yeah, you'll pretty much get ambient temps for sys temp, and 1-2 degrees at most above that for core.

I don't care about case esthetics... it's a server rig and nobody see it... except me ;)
All i want is good cooling...

if i were you and didnt care about noise, i would throw a couple of fans in there and leave it open. maybe put another one on top of the hsf.

I have 2 fans...
A 9" over the CDRW with the 2 bays off.
and the other is an exaust at the back of the case.

In theory, a case that has inadequate ventilation will benefit from the side panels being off.

However, if you have good circulation with a large amount of air moving in and out, you may see a performance penalty.

You see, a wind tunnel effect is better for heat removal than just air being thrown around all over the place. With strategic fan placement, this can be achieved.

well i dont see the point in putting the side panels on most people say that it will create dust but it would be just as bad if you had a few fans.

my rig has a window cut in the side but i never botherd to put any plexi in it so its as good as having the side panel off. i still have 8 case fans tho so i dont see much of an improvement from having the side off. but i dont see the point in having it on other than pretecting the components from kids/pets.

I dont think so because not all cases are EM sheilded

If you leave the side panels open at least put some fans inside the case to make a circulation of airflow. My case runs cooler with a ton of fans and the side closed vs. 2 fans and the side open. with no airflow even having the case open heat still builds up and stays in your case. you COULD leave it open and put a big box fan up against the side of the case.

on my old crappy case i left off the panels and i got alot better temps but that was bc i had crapp airflow. on my new ATX style chieftec i got a varitable wind tunnel so my temps are bette with the case closed. it all depends on airflow.

last summer i have overheating problem . i took off side panels.
use big fan, and direct it in my comp.
the temperature was down for 10 C . ;)

it would go down alot farther if u could keep out the dust. with my case off i had about a 7-12C drop (oild case mind you;)) but i had to clean the heatsink each week bc my temps would go UP over average by about 6C.

IMO if your fans are set up correctly than panels on = better temps and quieter.

My preference is for a duct. The cool air is directed to the heatsource. The other option is good air flow...a intake (IMO and experience) should be matched w/ a exhaust fan. Thus cool air is being drawn over your cpu and exhausted out. Before ducts my intake was in my front bays w/ a 80mm and at the rear of the case on the same level was another 80mm..the cool air moved right past the cpu and took out all the hot air. Dont be afraid to experiment w/ fan placements...fans are pretty cheap and besides it is more fun to mod a case yourself than to buy one modded for you.
I have less than fans now that I have learned to direct air flow...and my case is quieter!

Puer Aeternus said:
IMO if your fans are set up correctly than panels on = better temps and quieter.

My preference is for a duct. The cool air is directed to the heatsource. The other option is good air flow...a intake (IMO and experience) should be matched w/ a exhaust fan. Thus cool air is being drawn over your cpu and exhausted out. Before ducts my intake was in my front bays w/ a 80mm and at the rear of the case on the same level was another 80mm..the cool air moved right past the cpu and took out all the hot air. Dont be afraid to experiment w/ fan placements...fans are pretty cheap and besides it is more fun to mod a case yourself than to buy one modded for you.
I have less than fans now that I have learned to direct air flow...and my case is quieter!

Ducting=very good ;) :)

(in my opinion anyways)

Footba_SWAT5420 said:
i had to clean the heatsink each week bc my temps would go UP over average by about 6C.

Same here but you stilll have to do it if you have the side panels on but i think the problem is worse with them off.

Back