• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATC-201C-SX2 Oh, and Hello!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rawlinson

Registered
Hi all,

My first post to the forum, although I have lurked for a while.

I am finally getting my act together and preparing to upgrade the good old Athlon 650 that I have used for some 3 years.

I am opting for a well-reviewed Gigabyte board, a 'quietPC' 400 Watt PSU, a Centium 2.2Ghz Proc, and 1 Meg Crucial DDR3200 in 2 times 512M blocks. I do plan to try some basic OC for fun, because I now have the cash (being 32 years old.. getting on a bit) to buy a replacement if I burn something out.

My hardest choice so far has been the case. Coolermaster is well respected in this forum I see. I like the look of the ATC-201C-SX2 system, based upon its lower price of £144.52 (= approx $200 US)in the UK (Tax included) , and its specification. 3 fans looks good to me, and it seems built to last. It will have to, I upgrade rarely.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular unit?

Thanks,
H

Welcome

I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your
questions. I like the Chieftec/antec cases --- but they
will see me writing in VB before I spend £80 on one.
:)

Well I will post even though I don't own that case. I have a Chieftec that I love, plus it was less $$$. I do like the look of the Coolermasters but they are price prohibitive for me.

Henry Rawlinson said:

Does anyone have any experience with this particular unit?

Thanks,
H

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

No, I have no personal ownership experience, however, I have been able to fiddle aroung with the them at local computer stores. They are excellently(if not beatifully) crafted cases, very sold construction, and excellent ergonomics. If I had the cash I'd definetly pop the cash for one. I say get it and don't regret it, :D :cool:

trust me you'll love the case. I have the ATC111 which is basiaclly the same shell except for the front and I must say it was one of the best investments i made for my comp. I know that i won't upgrade it for 5yrs or so, maybe even never.The workmanship is second to none! You'll love it..

BTW, theres 4 fans not 3.

Ah! 4 fans on that? Cool!
the 201C-SX1 is the only one I could find on the coolermaster website, so I went by the number of fans on that. Maybe that's the SX2 difference.

The Celeron route is my choice because it's so inexpensive. As I am going to experiment with overclocking for my first time, I thought better risk it with a lower end CPU to begin.

I can afford a P4 3Ghz nowadays, but the thought of burning that out through my inexperienced actions as I push for higher speeds makes me shudder.

ONe last thing, did anyone ever see that website from the guys who put a Motherboard and CPU into a Refrigerator (a 33MHz 486 I think) and overcloked it up to about 600Mhz to play DOOM? Great site. I want that link again. If memory serves, they used frozen vodka bottles against the board to keep it cool, and finally ran Doom at about 1Ghz for some 30 seconds before meltdown.

Henry Rawlinson said:
Ah! 4 fans on that? Cool!
the 201C-SX1 is the only one I could find on the coolermaster website, so I went by the number of fans on that. Maybe that's the SX2 difference.

The Celeron route is my choice because it's so inexpensive. As I am going to experiment with overclocking for my first time, I thought better risk it with a lower end CPU to begin.

I can afford a P4 3Ghz nowadays, but the thought of burning that out through my inexperienced actions as I push for higher speeds makes me shudder.

ONe last thing, did anyone ever see that website from the guys who put a Motherboard and CPU into a Refrigerator (a 33MHz 486 I think) and overcloked it up to about 600Mhz to play DOOM? Great site. I want that link again. If memory serves, they used frozen vodka bottles against the board to keep it cool, and finally ran Doom at about 1Ghz for some 30 seconds before meltdown.

No the SX1 has 4 fans too. Anyway, it's a great case. I own one and I'm happy with it even though I had to mod it to accomodate my watercooling system.

BTW You do know that 486 overclocking thing was a joke, right?

It was a joke??

Doh! Ah, actually I fell for it then. Was still dead funny to read though.

I dont know the difference between SX1 and SX2 (colour scheme I guess). The website at:
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p201c.htm
has an SX1 on it but seems to talk about only 3 fans. One on top blowing out and 2 intakes at the front. Maybe they changed the design?

Henry Rawlinson said:
It was a joke??

Doh! Ah, actually I fell for it then. Was still dead funny to read though.

I dont know the difference between SX1 and SX2 (colour scheme I guess). The website at:
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p201c.htm
has an SX1 on it but seems to talk about only 3 fans. One on top blowing out and 2 intakes at the front. Maybe they changed the design?

Their specs are confusing there indeed. However, they do mention an exhaust fan in the back of the case and they also mention the top exhaust. I'd call your specific retailer to verify if you are worried about it.

Confirmed 4 fans

Case has arrived, I'm very happy with it.

Confirmed, the web site was a little misleading. Definitely 4 fans total.

Two intake fans, right next to each other, at the bottom end of the case/tower. Export fan on top, export fan at top rear.

This case, one night say, is now closed. :)

Back