Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop
Forum Jump

Zip ties as hose clamps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 09:59 AM Thread Starter   #1
Shroomer
member with no avatar

Zip ties as hose clamps?

I just wanted to know how many people have used these and if they have leaked for you. The block I made leaves little room for worm clamps, so I'm looking at alternatives. I'm probably going to run out and get some and try it, but I'd like to hear from other's.
Shroomer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 11:00 AM   #2
Wangster
Official O/C Santa Ferret

I think if you're in a pinch they should do, although removal without nicking the tubing in the future could prove difficult.
Wangster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 11:28 AM   #3
junkymagi

Quote:
Originally posted by Wangster
I think if you're in a pinch they should do, although removal without nicking the tubing in the future could prove difficult.
Easy to remove, just use a wire cutter on the connector
junkymagi is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 11:30 AM   #4
Wangster
Official O/C Santa Ferret

You have better spatial perception and precision than I do then. I use wire cutters too but 9 out of 10 times I'll ever so slightly nick the item it was tied on to.
Wangster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 11:39 AM Thread Starter   #5
Shroomer
member with no avatar

I'm using Vinyl, so I'll just replace the piece that I damage. So far no one's against the idea.
Old 03-27-03, 11:44 AM   #6
SkiFletch

well, make sure you get ties of decent width. the problem with zip ties might be that little area on the locking head where the rest of the tie inserts. that right angle bend there may or may not leak. give it a shot though, a bag of the things only costs like $1-2 right? couldnt hurt to try
SkiFletch is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 11:51 AM   #7
dagamore

i dont see why some one would risk a 2000+ computer system with a 2 cent zip tie, when you can get a 4 pack of good worm drive hose clamps for a buck. I for one would never risk one of my 3 water cooled systems with a zip tie, i know some people do it and have no problems, but i am not going to risk my system on it. in a pinch i might use a cheap hose clamp from safeway if i found out i was short one, but it would be replaced asap.
dagamore is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 12:08 PM   #8
Giblet Plus!

Use two of them, and put the right angle parts at opposite sides.
Giblet Plus! is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 12:19 PM   #9
TheMightyBuck
Banned for being a BAD TRADER aka a Troll

there is nothing wrong with zip ties, just because they are cheap. as long as u use two, ,with connecters opposite each other, you are fine. much better looking than ugly hose clamps, too.
TheMightyBuck is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 12:36 PM Thread Starter   #10
Shroomer
member with no avatar

Funny... I jus put it together. I have 2 worm clamps in there and the rest are zip ties. I had 2 leaks. Can you guess where they were?

If you guessed the worm clamp, then pat yourself on the back. I put one on my pump and one on the brass hose barb on my core. BOTH leaked. All I had to do was tighten the core one, but it took.... a ZIP TIE to stop the pump from leaking!

I'm going to have to experiment with this.
Old 03-27-03, 02:02 PM   #11
RoadWarrior

10 Year Badge

I wouldn't use the 200 for a buck translucent nylon ones though, I'd go for the automotive rated black ones (like they use for CV boots etc) at about the same width as a hose clamp. Then you grab the tail with pliers and shove on the ratchet end with a big blunt screwdriver at the same time, and you might get it tight enough to work.

Road Warrior

Black Belt Ubercloxx0r

"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous Folders have fallen or may fall into the grip of OCAU and all the odious apparatus of [H]ardOCP rule, we shall not flag or fail."

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fold on the Newcastles, we shall fold on the Northwoods and Prescotts, we shall fold with growing confidence and growing strength on Venice, we shall defend our Forum, whatever the cost may be, we shall fold on the Winchesters, we shall fold on the Bartons, we shall fold on the Applebreds and Thunderbirds, we shall fold on the Coppermines; we shall never surrender!"
RoadWarrior is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 03:01 PM   #12
BabyEater

If it was me i would never use zip tie's unless it was just a precaution i.e. it was a tight fit over the barb already . I always use jubilee clips. Thats just me tho, there are plenty of people that use them with no problems.

160gigHD
BabyEater is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 03:26 PM   #13
Mark Larson
Disabled

Why not use spring clamps?
Mark Larson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 05:45 PM   #14
Koooler King

Re: Zip Ties for Hose Clamps

Just my 2 cents ... zip ties are OK in a pinch if you are doing some temporary work with NEW vinyl tubing. Vinyl tubing should never be used long term as it gets hard and brittle after a few months, and zip ties do little good at that point.

Best bet, use ether-based urethane tubing which will last forever. then, Zip ties OK, snap grip clamps better, Oediker stepless metal clamps best (the seal lasts forever!). Avoid typical screw type "radiator" clamps ... not meant for anything critical.

Good luck,

Koooler King
Koooler King is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-27-03, 11:20 PM   #15
RonnieG

I use 4mm zip ties and loop them around twice such that the ratchet isn't in contact with the tubing. I grab the end with pliers and pull hard. The seal is pretty good, 360* all around
RonnieG is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-03, 04:13 PM   #16
dutchcedar

I have used zip ties with great success. I use the really small ones (color matched to the wire sheathing and other stuff) on barb fittings, two on each...one on each of the ribs closest to the fitting's base.

No leaks.
dutchcedar is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-28-03, 04:25 PM   #17
The Overclocker

ok here are a few problems with useing cable (or zip) ties

1. they stretch over time - which would result in a leak developing

2. normal 'natural' coloured ties also degrade in UV light, so make sure you are using a case that dosn't have a window, is open most of the time or has a UV light in it
The Overclocker is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling > Water Cooling
Water Cooling Discussion devoted to blocks, pumps, radiators, reservoirs, tubing, and everything else to get you running smooth on a water loop