• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opinion on some water cooling systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nintendo

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a water cooling system for my case. The reason is to be silent and just to start a new hobby.

Here are some ideas I got.

Go with this water cool setup http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=9371 and get the this for the video card http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=9361

The reason for this setup is I can put most of the system above my two cd roms, and put the Radiator where my blow hole is on my pc 60 case. The only thing that questions me about this system is I want it to be silent but there are two fans that are on the radiator.

The second setup I was thinking is

http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...e_Code=C&Product_Code=AWKCC&Category_Code=WCK

and added to this setup would be auto on pump relay switch kit, switch tubing to 1/2 inch clear flex, add the swiftech MCW50 for video card and upgrade the cpu block to an copper top maze 3.

My questions is should I try and get a setup with a fan or without or do I need a fan for the radiator?

I'm new at this so I appreciate your opinions and what I'm doing.

You need a fan for the rad. Look for 2 120mm fans and set them up in a push/pull configuration through the radiator. I think the general consensus is panaflo or stealth fans are the quietest, the whole setup shouldnt be any louder than a Dell box.

that wouldnt be smart to 'upgrade' to a maze3, it would be more like a 'downgrade' because the mcw5000 beats the maze3.

-edit- Read it rong, I thought you were gonna go for the swiftech kit and put a maze in there..

Jon

The cooltechnica link's standard WB is a Lucite top DD maze 3 so a copper top WOULD be an upgrade.

Super Nintendo said:
ok, so which setup is worth getting? The 80mm fans on the swiftech aren't to loud or would they be.

Unfortunately, perception of sound and loudness and very subjective. Generally when fans are placed right in front of an object the sound becomes more noticeable (higher).

What is the db rated at?

from reading this review at http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/case_cool/swiftech/water/h208500/h2085k_5.shtml about the swiftech water cooling kit, I'm really thinking of getting it. They say the 80 mm fans are very silent and can not hear them. Also if that is wrong you can always get better 80 mm fans that are quieter. Also this setup can fit perfectly in my case, I can take the 80mm blow hole fan out of the case and put the radiator in its place and have the pump and some of the tubes above the 2 cdroms. How does that sound?

i like the cooltechnica setup a little better, because i think it comes with a better pump, and a larger rad, and i have had issues with the swiftys blocks leaking on me. but as always YMMV

thanks for the comments, now I'm just reading up on some of the water cooling systems and then decide what I'm going to do.

MAZE3 Block w/ 4 Hole Mounting Kit
1/2" Chrome Fittings - Lucite Top
Black Ice Pro (Black) Radiator
Hydor L20 185G/H
Sunon 120mm Fan
Water Wetter 4oz Bottle
Arctic Silver Thermal Compound 3
7 ft of 1/2" ID Clear Flex Tubing
1 Reservoir Straight Fittings (Taped)
10 Hose Clamps
One 1/2" T Fitting
One 1/2" Y Fitting

hows this for a setup and should I get two 120 mm fan for the radiator or is one ok with it.

Spend the $5 for a copper top! Poly tops can crack and leak, just ask SkiFletch.

Get the Black Ice Extreme too. You won't regret it, but you might regret the BIP (maybe).

thanks for the input, should I get two 120 mm fan or just one is fine. and If I get one should I have it blow out or in.

2 can be better than 1, if you dont mind spending the extra few dollars, go for it, also, spend the extra money on the copper top for the maze3.

Back