• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatshrink Q?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azehof

Registered
I've never really used heatshrink and was wondering how I am suppose to get a 20mm heatshrink over a molex connector? does that stuff strecth before shrinking so I can fit it over plug ends?

You might be able to stretch it a minute bit further before it splits but generally it is not intended to be expanded further than it already is.

The easier approach is to scrounge around your house and make a pin extractor for the molex connector. You simply compress the retention ears on each pin and slide them out. Slide the heatshrink over the wires then push the pins back in. They will snap back into place easily. I wound up using a swizzle stick that was just the right diameter to slip over the pins and compress the retention ears. Since the swizzle stick eventually wore out, I found an old telescoping antenna from a small pair of tv rabbit ears that fits perfectly. It is now my pin tool. You can buy pin tools from places like Teknitool or Jensen.

Hoot

Last edited:
dtadpole said:
Was wandering also, I've have never used heatshrink and was wandering if a hair dryer would work to shrink the tubing? :)

Thats what I use. Just set it on high and it will work fine. Heat guns are really not necessary for just heatshrink tubing.

I wouldnt use shrink wrap =P just use black electric tape, it can look just as good =P (unless ur selling a compter or sumpthin then use shrink wrap)

The first time I used a heat gun, I melted some plastic and solder and made a circuit board burn (STINKY).

Back