• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Antec to take? 380/430/480W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

<Grisu4>

Hi,

I'm sad getting only 4.70volts on the 5V line when running @1.80 Vcore with my 8nax+ and 1700+ @2.5 GHz. Vcore's around 1.79-1.84. So I will trust on the good test results of the antec true power PSUs.

But how much power do I need?

Sys:
Nforce2, 1700+ @2.5GHz (12.5x200), 1.80Vcore, 1.79 VDD, 2x512 MB, 2x60gig RADI0 7200, 1x40gig 7200, cdrw, dvd, radeon 9k5@9k7 350/320, tv-card, 2nd nic.

Will the 430W true power suffice?

you don't say what you are using now.
If you can (there is a stickey about this) look at
the combined wattage of the +5 and 3.3 volt lines.
The Antec Trues seem to get a good press - pick
the one you won't want to upgrade for a while.

couchpotato said:
you don't say what you are using now.
If you can (there is a stickey about this) look at
the combined wattage of the +5 and 3.3 volt lines.
The Antec Trues seem to get a good press - pick
the one you won't want to upgrade for a while.

Got a Enermax 431 W (no manual fan control, about 2 years old, type's 465xxxx).

The 5 volt line sinks when I rise the vcore. When running a AIUHB 2100+ @1.9 Volts I only get 4.68 or less ..... that's definitely too much. ;). Yes, I heard of the volt mod for the enermax, but I'm not sure if I want to do it.

The True Power is the only quality power supply that doesn't carry a 3.3+5V rating, so that aspect of my sticky thread does not apply to your situation. But suggest reading the rest of it, I think it will put things in perspective for you.

Any of the three True Powers you mention should be fine. The Enermax is just weak knees, one of the points made in the sticky thread. The central point of the sticky is that a 431W Enermax may not (and does not, in reality) compare to a 430W True Power. These are basically meaningless numbers, other than for the identification of the supply.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150384

I read a few reviews of the 430/480 Antecs and I'm really impressed. This automatic adjustment of the single lines (3.3/5/12) is very impressive. Guess I don't want to make any compromises any longer and go for the 430 Antec.

Does there speak anything against this .... (but the price ;)) ?

Lithan said:
What's it cost?

About 110€ for the 430 TP

btw. my 431W Enermax has 220W combined power, but nevertheless the 5V sink when rising the Vcore as mentioned before.

schismspeak said:
That 220W combined is a pretty weak rating for a psu that is supposed to be 430W. Any of those antecs will suffice.

That 220 is the rating for the combined 5V and 3.3 V rails and its pretty much the same as all good PSUs with the same nominal wattage.

A

I think 220W is pretty okay. Only the low 5volt line when rising the vcore causes me headache - I hope the automatic adjustment of the true power will it make a steady 5volt .....

Also thought of taking the 480 or 550, but well - do I really need that much power? Depends the 5 volt line also on the maximum power output (then 480 or 550). On the other side there's a antec case (1080 AMG) with that 430 TP for a pretty nice price together ....

<Grisu4> said:
I think 220W is pretty okay. Only the low 5volt line when rising the vcore causes me headache - I hope the automatic adjustment of the true power will it make a steady 5volt .....

Also thought of taking the 480 or 550, but well - do I really need that much power? Depends the 5 volt line also on the maximum power output (then 480 or 550). On the other side there's a antec case (1080 AMG) with that 430 TP for a pretty nice price together ....

Fry's had that case for $100 a while back and its a really nice solid case and hell, for that price your basically getting a cheiftech case for $20.

I'd get the 480watt. You do seem to be using alot of power (2 drives in raid and an addtional one). Also, it's best to keep a little head room for future upgrades etc. I'm sure the 430watt maybe enough but the 480 is only a lil bit more money and can save future hassles.

Got a good offer for a True Blue 480 and took it. I don't really like that blue light, but it was cheap - so well, .....

Concerning to the antec page there are no differences in power or features to the normal True Power 480 besides the light.

Back