• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LOL back to dial up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breadfan

Inactive Moderator
For tonite atleast...I'm currently writing from my fileserver which is near my phoneline and still has a modem.

...My cable modem died tonite. Haven't even had it 2 months...

it was a Webstar, from Comcast...are the prone to such things? It's been acting up later, and over the past day it got worse and worse until my brother complained he kept getting disconnected from games. I started messing with it a bit, and next thing I know it lost the ability to get an IP from comcast and the router had no WAN address...

Lucky for me we have a dialup account where I work that is only used during the days, so atleast I can check my mail!

Off to comcast tommrorow morning...hope they're open Saturdays!

Mike

I have a growing hate for comcast...i wouldnt put it past them to make you pay for another modem. Tough break, thats what the consumer pays for having one company controll everything.

**some threads of interest**
http://www.boards.mco.ea.com/[email protected]@.ef0c68e

http://www.boards.mco.ea.com/[email protected]@.ef0c909

http://www.boards.mco.ea.com/[email protected]@.ef0ca44

http://www.boards.mco.ea.com/[email protected]@.ef0cc59

**you may not be able to view those boards as they are for a pay to play game**

Comcast serves my area and from what my friends say, they treat the customer horribly. Theres a growing sense of hostility towards Comcast. Not too long until we all march to the Comcast HQ with fire and pitchforks in hand. Personally I dont have cable (@!$% cheap family) but Im always up for playing a role in an angry mob.

Comcast bites. Last year ran into cash problems and had cable internet disconected. Money problems solved now but each time I call to get cable internet back they keep telling me a diffrent price that I owe them. And no its not interest building on the account cause they were giving me quotes like:
Day 1 $165
day 2 $250
day 3 $300
day 4 $125

I got so fed up I told them I'll keep my dial up, and to never contact me again.

hmm I had Comcast and didn't have too much trouble with them. I had them when I was in South Carolina they were the best deal around, 1500k download/128k upload for $39.95 a month....

When I moved up here to WV, Charter is charging me $49.95 for 768k download/128k upload. And constant service interruptions.

Maybe that's cos I'm apparently one of the few lucky customers who didn't have a problem with Comcast and didn't have to deal with their customer service..heh..

For future reference to those out there going cable though, go to a retailer like Circuit City, Fry's or Best Buy. They ALWAYS have deals to where you can BUY a modem from them (instead of renting and paying a monthly fee for some crap modem for the rest of your life) usually like a Linksys, Motorola, or Toshiba and get a massive rebate ($80-$130) which means the modem is usually for free..and a self-install kit.

easier

WellI dropped the modem off yesterday, and they gave me a new one pretty quick.

I had a Webstar before, and they gave me a Motorola...any good? I'm not sure if its the fact that it's a weekend, but my speed is not as good as it was. I used to consistently get over 1400down and 110+ up, but best I got last night was 1200 down.

No complaints there, but my up never went over 90k. The worst part was at 2am this morning my upload rated at 47k!!! Oh well...

Comcast DID annoy me though. I asked them about getting a static IP, which I figured would be like 5 bucks or soemthing. Well, noooooooooooo, you gotta sign up for Comcast Pro becuase "We consider static IP a business related thing."

How much is Comcast Pro? $95/month.

And even then, the IP isn't true static...just they give you the lease for 6months. Imagine that, you'd have to change your DNS info for a website every 6 months!

To bad you don't have Time Warner.

Time Warner is awesome, They just came out and totally rewired my house for free because their code has changed, and altho my house cable was still working fine, it wasn't up to their par anymore, so they rewired the house for free.

Of course, time warner has their problems, like installing a signal amplifier when I didn't need one, didn't affect the picture quality one bit. But hey, they didn't charge me for it so why not? the only real annoyance is because it takes up an outlet in a busy corner of my house.

Well, National Time Warner.. like the national help desk is great. but when they transfer you to the local help desk you get some guy that sounds like a prozac overdosed turtle that dosn't care about his job, but.. hey, most of my problems are solved at the national help desk anyways..

wow i'm glad I dont have these probs with my ISP cox cable

I get about 3000-4000 down and 250-350 up (the faster speeds are late at night) with a static IP (leased) and I was annoyed b/c a few months ago my bill went from $35 to $40

heh I dont feel so bad now

I have Adelphia....I get around 1500 down and 130isg up.

not bad, but not great for 45 bucks a month either.

I don't see anything rude about it. The modem dying is fine with me, they gave me no hassle returning it. Whats rude is their IP policy.

They told me that only a business would need a static IP, therefore you need Comcast pro for $95/month.

Come 'on...THATS RUDE! It doesn't cost much to reserve an IP from DHCP. The only thing I can see is that they charge you for owning the IP...kinda like a domain name. But nothing past that, none of this $95/month thing.

The funny part is that even with the "business" comcast pro, the IPs aren't true static but are on 6month leases. So say you run a website or other DNS stuff...every six months you have to redo your DNS??? Talk about a pain!

I'm not complaining about the service...for 40/month I'm getting near T1 downloads...no complaints about that. And they did give me a better cable modem which was nice. But that static IP thing is sort of a rip off...

Then again, I have no where else to go -- comcast serves my area, and only comcast. I can't get DSL, so it's clear who my choice is!

Back