• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick question about RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maver1ck

Registered
Im gonna pick up 2 60GB WD 8MB or 40GB WD 8MB drives, and I want to put them in either RAID-0 or RAID-1 setup....

My motherboard doesnt have onboard RAID, so id have to get a card. Which should I get? And where do they sell them? I was also wondering if they should be on the same channel or different channels for better performance.

Im new to setting up RAID so I need a lil help :p

I personally would choose a dual channel card with the 133 interface. Newegg has a few from HighPoint that r nice. Setting up a raid 0 is easy by putting both hdd's as master one hdd per channel and reloading ur OS and hitting f6 and wait a sec before the config setup will ask for a floppy not hard it will walk u through it .
here's a link for some HighPoints on Newegg : http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=HighPoint+Controller

edit: assuming ur using Windows XP

which dual channel card should i get? my budget is a little tight so I want to get one of the cheap ones...... but want a good performing one

I believe the only real choice is the HighPoint Controller Card RocketRaid133 for $69.99 some of the others are not Raid cards but upon further research they are ata133 cards and not for raid but to support the speed of the Maxtor hdd's. I would also consider the Maxtor hdd's they also have some with the 8 mb cache plus the benefits of the ata133. This is just my opinion though. It may also be easier to upgrade ur motherboard for a little more money but not knowing ur specs it is hard to tell. Anyway thats just a suggestion but I am by no means an expert at Raid just some info that I have gotten in my experiences

edit sorry I didnt see ur specs at the bottom it must be getting late:rolleyes:

Back