• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump relays

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
umm.. i know radio shack has relays. fry's electronics if you live in CA, OR, TX. umm... if yer hookin' it up like i think you should, make sure it's rated for at least 120v ac (i dunno how many amps, pick a nice big number if you have a choice) and 12v dc at least 5 amps. also, see if they have one here --> http://www.allelectronics.com/

happy relay hunting. also, make sure you know how to wire one fo these up... you dont' want to mess up.. you'll trip yer circuit breaker, and probably bust whatever voltage yer hookin' up to yer power supply, if not the whole thing.

I'm talking about the one like this. Which will turn my pump on w/ the computer.

I am looking for a place that has a good price on a relay and a barbed Y fitting. Dtek charges $2.50 for one which is rather gay.

Cool thanks for the link, it look alot easier than I thought it would. Does anyone know how much the 275-206 relay is? Also, what's the easiest way to be able to switch the pump on w/ out the computer on? I was thining w/ the relay from dtek that I could just unplug the pump's cord from the relay and plug it in to the wall. But now I'm thinking you still have to cut the plug off of the pump even w/ the dtek relay (to wire it to the relay). Is that true?

-Bryan

Ok, now I think I'm confusing myself. The pins labled "From Plug", which plug is this? And what are the "12 Volt Leads" for, he says wire them to the "coil", I thought the relay contained the coil. Hmm... help.

Edit: are the 12volt leads just the signal from a molex connector to tell the relay it's on. And then you have to get the real juice being used from a wall outlet? I hope not.

I was hoping to run the pump off of my Antec True550 it's self.

I'd suggest a solid-state relay, as they have no moving parts and are virtually bullet AND idiot-proof. The down side is they are fairly hard to find in single numbers, that PCI relay (actually more like a power supply) is only $5 more than what I've found for the proper solid-state relay (albeit on the net) and normal mechanical relays rarely fail. Down side to the pci relay is...more expensive and mechanical? Downside for mechanical is there might be noise when they switch on/off (if you WC for absolute silence, it may be a prob) and there is a greater chance of failure with them than solid-state.

*edit: looking at that all electronics link, they have some cheap solid-state realys - $11 vs ~$25 I found for the 2 better brands searching google.

Last edited:
DeathONator said:
what's the easiest way to be able to switch the pump on w/ out the computer on? I was thining w/ the relay from dtek that I could just unplug the pump's cord from the relay and plug it in to the wall. But now I'm thinking you still have to cut the plug off of the pump even w/ the dtek relay (to wire it to the relay). Is that true?

-Bryan

Anyone know anything about this, I was wondering the same thing, what if you need to bleed your system and your are unable to power up your pump unless you wire a plug to it?

Defcon3X said:

Anyone know anything about this, I was wondering the same thing, what if you need to bleed your system and your are unable to power up your pump unless you wire a plug to it?

Either way you do it you'll have to cut the plug, unless you get yourself a work box, and build a relay setup with a standard outlet attached to the relay. That way you can plug the pump into the outlet, which will be powered up when the rig starts. This method is better with a mostly external WC setup.

bgmicro.com has solid state relays, Not sure on price or wattage... you can check though:)

I guess I could wire the relay up to a standard plug from an extention cord, which wouldn't be too hard. But when using one of these relays, where do you get the power from? A wall jack, or your power supply? I want to run it off of my PS.

SO you guys think building one myself would of better quality than the $18 one at dangerden?

Edit: Also, what properties do I need to look for in a relay? 12V AC? how many amps?

Last edited:
i been useing a relay from radio shack for the past two years without problems

cost was 6 dollars

Jen

How many amps do I need? And it needs to be a 12V AC relay? Lastly, do you run the pump off of another wall outlet? Is there a way to run it off of the PS that isn't too hard?

Thanks for all the help. I can't wait for the day when I can post pictures of a finished system!

MAke sure you have a UL listed relay, my roommates relay wasn't his frst time around, and like a week after he put it in the relay stopped working and his pump didn't turn on

Why not just use a power strip? Plug 'em both into the same one. The pump is on if it is plugged in so there is no way you could turn your computer on and not have the pump on. That solves your filling/bleeding issue also.

Back