• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton comes SMP or you have to L5 mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

filip04

i have a really quick question about the new barton chips:

do they come smp compatible, or do you have to connect the L5 bridge to make it run in a dual setting???

thanx

AMD is supposed to eventually sell a single MP that uses the Barton core, a 2600+. Comes bussed at 266mhz.

dang...

well, what i was thinking is that i want a dully, but has to be 333 fsb.. so either go with the XP's that use the 333 bus (2600 and above) and mod it, or go with a barton as they all use the 333 bus at this moment...

and if the mp bartons come at 266 fsb (like all of the other mp's), that doesn't help me at all... so it looks to me like i'll be doing the mod either way

thanx

Correct. The only board that stands a chanch of running at 166fsb is the Iwill MPX2 (I have one running XP2400's at 166x13). The problem here is that there are no 1/5 dividers and no PCI/AGP locks. My IBM deathstar gives a shed load of errors at that 41.5MHz PCI speed. I have had to use a SCSI drive. Also, I have had to use a GF3 Ti500 on that box as my Radeon 9700 Pro doesn't like fsb's above 155.

So, you will have to do a lot of mix 'n matching to get a stable dual 166fsb machine.

Well, no current board. HardOCP had a picture of a board based on an upcoming nvidia chipset. They say they got it directly from one of the manufacturers, it was abit or asus, I forget which, but the manufacturer said that it had not released any plans for such a board. I don't know who to believe. But it's a good idea, it's what we want, and it would do well for nvidia's reputation, considering all the features. I wouldn't wait around for it, though, unless you absolutely MUST have a 166fsb dual processor machine.

That was discussed in here, most people agreed it was fake. Even if it wasn't, I don't think I'd trust it - thats not exactly Nvidia's area of expertise.

I doubt that there will be an MP board that will be a reliable performer at 166fsb, and not run into problems with PCI speeds that are way out of spec. That and it is not likely that there will be another MP chipset for the Atholon crowd, as AMD's server and workstation efforts are focused on the upcomming 64bit chips, so the possiblity of an easily obtainable 166mhz fsb is decidedly slim.

sorry, I sure hope I'm wrong :)
________
Bald ***** live

Last edited:
XWRed1 said:
That was discussed in here, most people agreed it was fake. Even if it wasn't, I don't think I'd trust it - thats not exactly Nvidia's area of expertise.
I, too, believe it is fake. But remember that the truth is not determined by how many people believe it.

Back