• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This happen to your HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cwb27

So yeah the other day I take off my V7+ to clean the sucker out, clean off all the grease and to my amazement there's an imprint of the printing from the CPU core. I tried to get it off thinking it was just some thermal grease, but no it won't come off.

Wasn't in the mood to lap it ether, so I just left it.

I have had this several times, perhaps whatever ink they use melts a little when it gets hot or whatever... dunno, just know its a common thing.

It's a sign that you had your heatsink on correctly :)

I usually redo my lap real quickly when I pull a sink off- just 30 seconds or so with 1500 or so (whatever I have on hand) just to smooth it out a bit.

I don't think it's really needed and I don't think I have seen any improved temps by doing so, but I do it anyway- just makes me feel better:D

The imprint is caused when the softend (from the cpu heat) metal of the hetsink is clamped tightly to the core. Over time the pressure causes the heatsink to mold to the shape of the core, as rogerdugans said this is a signt that your heatsink is on correctly.

Back