• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new puter.. what do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirtoby

My bro just got some nice paychecks coming in and he asked for some advice from me on what to buy.. since I've been in the AMD scene a bit longer than him, and he wanted an AMD system.. (mostly because of price/perfomance)

Anyways.. this is what I told him to get..

Epox 8RDA
Athlon XP 2100+
Samsung PC3200 256mb
Antec case w/ antec truepower psu.
Thermalright SK7 with a quiet Papst fan.

What do you guys think? :)

yes the Epox-8RDA and the + version are nforce2 base mainboards.

Everything looks good but I would get more ram if he needs it. 2 sticks of 256 would be nice and maybe a better heatsink if he plans to overclock.

Other than that very nice :)

I would go with 2 sitcks of ram to utilize the double channeling of AMD. If he might want 1 gig later, just get 1 stick of 512mb for now. Add another in a month or two.

Also, yes, a better heatsink. AMD is notorious for running hot, so don't skimp on the heatsink.

And finally, I like Sparkle/Fortron, but TruePower is also good. Just make sure he gets enough power. I'd suggest a minimum of 350w, while I personally like 400w+. Can't ever have too much power ;)

350 watts powers everything in my rig + 2 tornados, Nexus fan controller, neon light, 2 cd drives, 2 other case fans, so at least get a 350watt psu

Yeah I know about the memory, but he didn't want to spend that much money so I told him to get one stick now, and one later..

He'll keep the video card/ sound card from his old puter.. that's why I also recommended the non-plus version of 8RDA..

Video card is a Creative ti-4400 (w/ Zalman heatpipe cooler)

The soundcard is a SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1

Back