• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does this sound like an ok power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It would sound ok to me if I didn't already know it was a Deer in disguise - those things are bad news both in terms of reliability and stability. Foxconn is Deer's parent company.

3.3 x 28 + 12 x 15 + 5 x 30 = 422.4W, not much for a 450W PSU
because that number is almost as high with some 300W PSUs. With most of the better ones, the sum of the individual powers is 30-40% higher than the nameplate power.

well crap. I already bought it, so I geuss i'll have to live with it.

Unless you are drawing huge amounts of power it will be fine. Allieds aren't that bad. I've got a 400 watt that although I haven't used too heavily has real nice rails and runs my secondary rig (tbire 1333) just fine.

Specs mean really nothing when the brand is bad. Allied, Deer and all those brands are bad brands and when you risk going this path, you put your rig on the line because you went a few bucks cheaper assuming that it would do good in the long run which it may not! ;) I highly recommend you trying to cancel that order and try ordering a more well known brand such as Sparkle, Antec or PCP&C unit.

Yodums said:
Specs mean really nothing when the brand is bad. Allied, Deer and all those brands are bad brands and when you risk going this path, you put your rig on the line because you went a few bucks cheaper assuming that it would do good in the long run which it may not! ;) I highly recommend you trying to cancel that order and try ordering a more well known brand such as Sparkle, Antec or PCP&C unit.

I would, but I ordered it last wednesday. Newegg.com already shipped it:(

Anyway, do I still risk it even if i'm not pushing the power supply very hard?

If you're not pushing it hard it could last quite a while actually... my experience with Deers indicates they usually only give you the lightshow if stressed beyond their limits - they seem to have no overcurrent protection at all in them.

My first case came with a 240w Deer - when the PSU was finally taken out of service it had blown all its filter caps on the secondary side - all 4 were bulging and leaking and it's amazing the thing didn't kill other things attached to it. It had been powering a Duron 700 system for a year with 2 hard drives, one dvd drive, and one rw drive. I estimate the demand on the PSU was quite a bit more than it was rated for (and it was mislabeled too - was supposed to be a 250w unit). I keep it as a lesson to myself not to blindly trust what comes with a case anymore.

From the specs on yours, you should be ok if you don't load down the 12v rail too much, yours is significantly more beefy than my old 240 (mine was rated 8a).

well it came today, nice case. i looked at the power supply and it had 18A on the 12volt rail this time. I should really only need 350 watts anyway.

Back