• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 questions about Heatsinks and CPU fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoda

3 questions about Heatsinks and CPU fans

1. I was looking through posts and someone said that the volcano7 has an sk-7 heatsink and smartfan 2, is this true?

2.Which fan should I get for the heatsink
80x25mm Variable Speed YS-Tech 3-pin Case Fan 10.2~48.5CFM
$7.99
or
Thermaltake Smart Case Fan 2 20-75CFM
$9.99

3.If the volcano7 does have this stuff and the smartfan is better then the YS-tech is there any reason I should buy the sk-7/smartfan combo over the Volcano7?
the Volcano7 is $18.99 which is less then the sk-7 alone.. Kinda odd if it has an sk-7

Heres the specs of the system I am getting:
future comp:
Epox 8rda deluxe mobo
Athlon XP 2100 (1.736 ghz) T-Bred B 0302 overclocked@ _____
512MB Twinmos/Winbond PC3200 DDR400 C2 (dual ddr)
80 GB Western Digitial "SE" 7200RPM 8MB cache
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
nforce soundstorm onboard sound
SPARKLE 400W power supply
Diamond Black steel Case w/window 109 bay,room for 7 fans

thanks

oh and all the prices are from SVC.com if you are wondering.

Last edited:
wait, no the volcano 7 is $13.50

the 9 is $18.99

maybe I mean the volcano 9?? ahhh!!!!!

I know the fan is a smart fan 1

I don't think the heatsink is as good as the slk-700, though I may be wrong...

Hey.... Sandman001! I know you from gamefaqs man.
I see you are rather new too, don't know who is newer...,, but what the hey:

Welcome to the forums man!

the v7+ has smt fan 1

the v9 has smt fan 2 ;)

If you plan to do a really good o/c get a slk800 with smt fan 2

the v9 works pretty good for me.

and no the v7 does NOT have the sk7 hs with smt fan2

It is TT's own design with smt fn 1;)

Re: 3 questions about Heatsinks and CPU fans

Zoda said:
1. I was looking through posts and someone said that the volcano7 has an sk-7 heatsink and smartfan 2, is this true?
=

No. The SK-7 is an excellent all copper heatsink made by Thermalright. It doesn't include a fan. The Volcano 7 is a mediocre aluminum/copper heatsink made by Thermaltake.

alright thanks a lot.. It seemed kinda strange to me since I have hear dlittle good about volcanos and a lot of good info about SK-7's

I think I am getting the smartfan also because it is only $3 more and can change speed as well as get a higher speed.. If it's too loud I can always turn it down.. I saw lots of people with the YS-tech/sk-7 combo, but I think this is better now that I think about it.

smartfan2:
Air Flow: 20.55 CFM at 1300 RPM /75.7 CFM at 4800 RPM
Rated Voltage: 12VDC
Air Pressure: 1.45mmH2O at 1300 RPM
Starting Voltage: 6VDC 8.43mmH2O at 4800 RPM
Rated Current: 0.20AMP ~ 0.70AMP
Noise: 17 dB at 1300 RPM
Power Input: 2.40W ~ 8.40W 48 dB at 4800 RPM
Bearing Type: Two Ball Bearing Life Time: 50,000 hours

YS tech:
Fan speed: 800 ~ 3300 RPM
Fan airflow: 10.2 ~ 48.7 CFM
Static Pressure: 0.4 ~ 5.8mm-H20
Sound Level: 18 ~ 39.5 dB (A-weighted)
MTBF: 75,000 Hours
Rotation: Counter-Clockwise
Power Consumption: 1.08 ~ 3.48 Watts
Current Draw at 12VDC: 0.09 ~ 0.29 Amperes
Starting Voltage: 7 VDC Rated Voltage: 12 VDC Operating Voltage: 7 ~ 16 VDC

Zoda said:
alright thanks a lot.. It seemed kinda strange to me since I have hear dlittle good about volcanos and a lot of good info about SK-7's

I have a v9 and i am very happy with it.

yes, an slk 800 still cools better but you get much much more performance for your money with a volcano

If you want some more info on the smt fn 2 click here

Thats cool modena, I did not mean to say it is a bad heatsink, just it seems like the sk-7/slk-800 are better. The Volcano9 can probably outperform many other HS/F combos.

Hey zoda!

I wondered if it was you, I didn't say anything because I figured there was more than one zoda on these forums and didn't want to look like an idiot:)

Nah, I am the only zoda in exisistance..

or maybe not, I found out awhile back that Zoda was a character in this nintendo game "startropics" and the sequel to it "zodas revenge" however I thought I made the name up myself and have had it for like 6 years now and I like it.. So I'm not gonna change it just cause some game has the name in it.

So the Sk7 is much better then the V series HS right. I mean naturally it requires a good combination of HS and the HSF but yeah right?

I was planning on getting a new one and on the front page the SK7 is third place and only 20 bucks at svc so I might just have to pay them a visit.

Back