• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Truepower 380 - few q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaimemitch

Registered
I have had this supply for a while now (2 months aprox), its powering a p4 2.4, gf4 ti 4400, 2 hard disks etc..

Firstly an observation. The gigabyte board utility (8pe667 ultra 2) reports 4.830 & 11.90 volts, speedfan gives 4.17 & 11.90 for the voltages. This was worrying at first although reading the posts here reassured me and as the comp was stable I ignored it. Just having taken a reading with a DMM it gives 5.03 and 11.96, so I am now I am happy, and it shows what a great supply this is.

The fan connectors seem to give 5v most of the time (using the DMM) so I would like to hock up my case fans to that as they are currently 7v/10v modified. (I’m trying to get good cooling for low noise). I have read that the 2 fan only connectors can only handle a small number of fans (less than 4 according to one post I read, however the poster may have been using high current fans), however I am only connecting silent ystech 80mm fans and ada fans (80mm). Is there a max load for these connectors, how many fans do others have connected and would it be ok to connect 6 of these fans to the headers.

I have just mocked up a 2 fan side blow holes (using a piece of card board and 2 ada fans I had spare, all fixed with a hot glue gun, to the side of my p60) and the cpu temp has dropped 4 degrees (no case temp reading on my board), and with the fan connectors its still infinitely quieter than the northbridge fan and gf4 fan (the zalman coolers are waiting to be fitted). I have some pics of my instant mod and case @ www.btinternet.com/~jaimem/index.htm

I plan to put a window into the side panel as shown outlined on the temp panel at the above address. I will use 2 blue led fans mounted into the window, when the fans are spinning slowly I should be able to see the cpu and gpu heatsinks through the fan. I was looking at the aska blue fans including the one with manual fan speed control, (the price is very reasonable), will these work with the fan only connectors of the antec true power 380? I presume not as the leds wont get the needed voltage. Would it be difficult to wire the led’s and the fan motor separately to the fan only connector and a normal molex for the leds? Any guides or schematics on this kind of thing?

Thanks

Jaime

We recommend only using 3 case fans on the Fan Only connectors total. This is for safety reasons. If a fan fails it draws a lot more power then a running fan, which can then cause a lot of other problems.

I have heard of people using more then 3, but I haven't heard of people going up to 6.

AntecRep

Thanks antecrep, as the lian li has speed adjustment for the front 2 fans, I will stick with 4 fans as a maximum, although will probably only run 3 off of them.

Thanks

Jaime

Back