• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just installed Mandrake 9.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElGriton

I must it's nice. Installation was a breeze and it detected ALL my hardware *( A Linux first ). KDE 3.1 is smooth and looks better than ever. Even with the default install it's fast, faster than any other distro I have tried. It seems this version was really made for the Linux noob I would recommend it to anyone out there interested in trying Linux. I have found the Swedish Servers to be the fastest. Give it a try.

* No distro has ever detected my scanner this one is no exception.

What distros have you tried so far?

Since Knoppix ~ Debian Linux, did you ever install Debian via Knoppix on the HD?

Audioaficionado said:
What distros have you tried so far?

Since Knoppix ~ Debian Linux, did you ever install Debian via Knoppix on the HD?

Knoppix
Debian
RedHat 7 & 8
Mandrake 6.5 through 9.1
FreeBSD ( not really Linux I know )
Was going to try Gentoo but couldn't even download it.

I really like Mandrake 9.1. My wife says she "hates it less than the other versions" I have tried. I truly think that in another generation or two that Mandrake will have a Linux distro that is a (viable) Windows alternative.

I only keep window$ on my pc to play games and occasionally surf internet... Linux is where I actually DO something...

I bought a brand new Sony 48x24x48 CD-RW a few months ago and guess what??? My Window$ programs (I have a couple of them) for burning don't accept it... tells me in need an upgrade to the program.... so I click the link and guess what I would have to pay for the upgrade!!! HA!

In linux it works fine! In Windws I can't use it without buying more software... so I just go to linux (if I DLoad something in Window$) and access Window$ files and copy it to Linux and burn it...

Microterd makes junk.

Mandrake 9.1, the ONLY solution for me!!!

Hmmm...

Do you have to RPM for updates?

That's the show stopper for me. One harder install then almost effortless updates is why Debian, Gentoo & FreeBSD appeal to me.

OTOH I have gobs of HD space to play with and I can always reformat and reuse the partition later... :D

How many partitions did Mandrake divy your install partition into. /boot, swap, /root, etc.

Thanx for that direct link ElGriton. From Mandrake's mirror page it didn't work but I have all three coming down the pipe right now. It'll take ~6hrs.

I love my fat 750kbps pipe :D

Ive never been a fan of Mandrake, and even version 9 was heavily over rated (even tried the cooker build which is now 9.1) it installs absolutely everything that I do not need and is remarkably slow compared to SuSE 8.1 with KDE 3.11 imho.

I'm going to play with it and compare to my Debian testing installation. I'm also trying out FreeBSD 5 final. I may also give Gentoo a try when I can get another decent computer online. My 486 is just too slow for maximum surfin' pleasure while Gentoo takes a week to compile in my main rig.

Back