• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble using 2 switches

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowCat66

Heres my setup:
I have a Linksys BEFSR11 ver.2. It has one port going out.Connected to that I have an Apoen AOW-608 8 port switch.The computers in my home run directly off that Aopen switch.One of the ports off of the Aopen is going to another switch,which is a linksys 8 port switch model #PROMOS52.The linksys switch runs my folding farm which needs 7 ports.

Here is my problem:
First thing I noticed is the constant "chatter" on the linksys switch,The lights flicker non-stop.98SE will work to connect to the internet but I tried a linux sever which would not.At least once a week I have to shut down my setup and restart all my 98SE mach to get them back online,they lose there DCHP client.Thats what I'm trying to fix.

I've tried using the switches in different orders,new cables,linux server,others I just dont remember anymore.

Questions:
If I get a 4 port router and run swithes off separate ports will that work?
Do I need a different brand of router?(was looking at linksys BEFSR41)
Is there something that my router needs that the current one does not support?
Do I need to take up target shooting,I heard that can be fun(lol j/k,just alittle frustrated)

Ideas?comments? or better yet a solution.

Thanks in advance,I hope this is clear enough to get some help.I never was the best at explainations.

If you've got 7 computers hooked up to one switch, of course the link lights are going to be blinking like crazy, that's goign to generate a lot of traffic.

As for why Win98 works, but linux doesn't, the linux box is probably not configured properly. Try checking the settings on the NIC (type ifconfig, to see what you get)

Rebooting the WIN98 machines to get an ip address: Check the lease time on your router.

To answer your questions:
1. Yes.
2. Maybe, but I don't know.
3. Maybe, but I don't know.
4. Don't go target shooting, just blow stuff up in your back yard.

i had the same issues, until i put in my 4 port linksy router as the brains to the system, now on the router there is nominal traffic, and i think it load ballanced the other hubs better. hope this helps.

Make sure you uplink em correctly. The linksys routers usually have an uplink port on em which disables port 1(on most of not all). You can then uplink to any port on another switch...just make sure it isn't the uplink port on the switch. Use the uplink port on that switch to uplink to the next 7 ports. I think that makes sense. Just make sure if you use an uplink port it doesn't kill another port(like the one the Linux box is on). Ya if you cna understand what I said then I hope it helps.:D

Flexy

Make sure only one of the routers is doing the DHCP.

Hardcoding all the IP's for the win98 boxes might cut back
on some of the chatter also.....(TCP/IP properties)

Back