• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2nd PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nymph

I have an ANTEC 350 watt smartfan PSU and a spare 250watt generic PSU... I have my 250 watt set up where I use it as a tester for fans and stuff...

My question is, if I hook up all of my fans, HDD, CD-RW, and floppy with the 250 watt and just leave my antec to power my MOBO (cpu, and memory), will that make my MOBO 3, 5, and 12 rails stronger because they are only dedicated to the MOBO?

nYmph

in a word ---
YES.

As you probably already know
1/ DO connect the Earth (blacks ) together
2/ DO NOT connect any of the other colours between power supplies.

If you want it to start up automatically

put a 12 Volt relay on the primary powers' 12 volt out,
and with this you can join the power controll line on the
secondary power supply.

Actually I have not tried this -- wait a while and see if there
is a consensus as to the actual power -on wiring.
The problem is - will the 0.5 second delay between the psus
coming on cause any problems.

Edit- there is another stickey above about running psu's together- and thereare many links. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...

I don't plan on joining the 2 PSU's together in anyway, just sitting the 2nd PSU on top of the case and running the wires to everything except the MOBO.... I wanna keep it as simple as possible.... :)

nYmph

yes - ok
the normal method for power - up is peripherals first
and then the central processor.
( my history is marconi 8080T £250,000 piece of test kit)

And for power down - cpu first. :)

couchpotato said:
yes - ok
the normal method for power - up is peripherals first
and then the central processor.
( my history is marconi 8080T £250,000 piece of test kit)

And for power down - cpu first. :)

You know, I didn't even think of the order in which to power up and down... Thanks for mentioning that!

So basically on PSU #2 I will have all my fans, HDD, CD-RW, floppy, and video card.. and on PSU #1 I will have my MOBO (cpu and memory)... So what your saying is that I should flip on PSU #2 first and then #1 right?

nYmph

Ok, I should have it set up by this evening and will give it a shot!

Thank you!

nYmph

Back