• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New LiteOn DVD+/-R Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToledoSteel

I have heard that LiteOn is coming out with a DVD-R / DVD+R drive. Yet I can't find any information on it. It is supposed to be acombo drive retailing for around $200. Which would be really nice since the Sony combo drives are around $350+. I was wondering if anyone had heard when this was supposed to hit the market. Or any other information regarding this drive. I don't want to buy a drive that only burns +R or -R, since either one may loose the standardizarion battle. Or my theory that both will be around for a long time still.

That statement about the LITE-ON DVD being loud is only a SWAG (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess). There is absolutely no way to tell until they are released. Besides, I would gladly put up with a little more noise for a cheaper drive that performs or out-performs the expensive ones.

Due to my fans the only sound I've heard from my LITE-ON is the tray opening or shutting.

Erm, maybe the 48x burners, but...dvd-writers can'r really read cds faster than 32x or so, meaning slow rpm. 1x dvd is about 8x cd, so it would be like a 32x cd-r version (at 4x).

As for getting a -r/w//+r/w combo drive, I highly doubt that either will be dropped anytime soon (maybe +r/w due to the -r/w's user base and the new 4x speed). My dvr-104 is as quiet as any drive that speed (32x max) I've heard.

Linux Haxxor said:

their cd-writer and dvd-rom drives are loud as heck, so i wouldn't be suprised if he's right

Guess you haven't heard one of them ASUS 52/24/52 CDRW drives, or the first TLA of the Plextor PX-W4824A, the LITE-ON is a kitten purr compared to those ;)

And the LITE-ON DVD-/+R/RW sounds great, I can hardly wait.

Back