• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd k-6 2 450 help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fedex

I have an AMD k-6 2/450 and I am trying to overclock. I have gotten it to 500 Mhz with my Gigabyte GA-5AA board. But I saw a guy in the cpu database that got 618 and I am wondering how to get it that high? All help appreciated. Thanks!
-Justin

What kind of cooling do you have on that chip? If it's the stock cooler an upgrade might help, but that might be your limit. I don't think the k6's were great overclockers, my k6-2 450 crashes at anything over 475.

Looking at the database most of the people over 550 were using watercooling.

618 on a K6-2 450 is an extreme overclock. Usually 50 to 100 MHz is the best you can do.
To max out your 450; you'll want to decap it. I use a single edge razor blade and slide it under each of the 4 corners as far as it will go. Then I use a plastic knife to pop the cap off. You'll need to be careful mounting your heatsink, both to make sure it will make contact, and to avoid chipping the core. A basic Socket A cooler will be as much as it needs, lapped and using AS3 of course.
Up the voltage. You can go as high as 2.8, but that is dangerously high. It might survive a little higher, but you might find yourself in the market for another K6-2.
That board has settings for up to 140 MHz FSB. I've been able to get it to run 130 FSB with a K6-2+, but I had to disable the external L-2 memory cache to do it. You cannot do this with a standard K6-2, so you'll probably be limited to 115 FSB. But the higher the better.

I was able to run 124mhz on an FIC VA503A consistanty ONLY when using PC133 however. It ran flawless, provided I did not try to overclock too high. (my 475 would only go to ~511)

Back