• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT400A as an overclocking Platform

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelphia83

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these boards yet?

I'm seeing advertisements already for KT400A boards (gigabyte, AOpen, among others), however I have yet to see them for sale on Newegg.

I took a Visit to Via's website, and apparently the KT400A is out. They have a bunch of details on their site.

For those who don't know, VIA is abandoning Dual-Channel DDR support in favor of single-channel "enhanced" (I forgot their catchy name for it) DDR, that is supposed to provide 20% performance increase over KT400.

That being said, it should compete with (even surpass) performance offered by the Nforce2. I have yet to see an equally clocked Nforce2 in dual-channel offer 20% better memory performance than my KT400.

Anyone with any further info on this chipset as far as overclocking goes, please post. I'd like to hear what people have to think about this chipset.

VIA KT400a would be good if they'd only add a PCI/AGP lock.

Until they do, I won't buy one.

Agreed,

New chipsets, well slightly new and revised chipsets with no PCI/AGP lock feature are strictly oem box fare.

Top FIVE enthusiast feature checklist Via read and obey or get left out in the cold FOREVER MORE.

1. 250 fsb possible 200 fsb easy, 1mhz increment adjustable

2. PCI/AGP lock...what? PCI/AGP lock that's what I said

3. Insane voltage control over everything, no exceptions.

3. Dual channel memory controller

4. integrated firewire, USB 2, 7.1 sound, 1gb lan, serial ATA raid 0,1, 1+0 in southbridge

5. bios protection & overclocking protection

one more

6. Motherboard power rails that self adjust to give steady 3.3v 5v and 12v no matter how high or hard you overclock. Provided the power supply direct readings are within parameters.

Last edited:
Seraphic said:
1. 250 fsb possible 200 fsb easy, 1mhz increment adjustable

2. PCI/AGP lock...what? PCI/AGP lock that's what I said

3. Insane voltage control over everything, no exceptions.

3. Dual channel memory controller

4. integrated firewire, USB 2, 7.1 sound, 1gb lan, serial ATA raid 0,1, 1+0 in southbridge

5. bios protection & overclocking protection

one more

6. Motherboard power rails that self adjust to give steady 3.3v 5v and 12v no matter how high or hard you overclock. Provided the power supply direct readings are within parameters.

Umm, items 1, 3 (well the first number 3 anyway), 5 are controlled by the mobo maker and 6 is controlled by the PSU.
:rolleyes:

ZeroWing29 said:

Umm, items 1, 3 (well the first number 3 anyway), 5 are controlled by the mobo maker and 6 is controlled by the PSU.
:rolleyes:

Item 1 is affected by many factors, not least of all, VIA. Of course, motherboard manufacturers play their part too, but they can hardly make any old chipset do 250fsb.

As for 3a and 5 (and 1 for that matter) these things can be pushed forward by reference designs by VIA. If VIA tells its mobo manufacturers to give us these things, then we will have them. But again, the manfuacturers do have control to an extent.

As for 6, I'm not sure about this issue, but I think the motherboard could help with this problem. Not quite clear what the origonal poster wants, or if its a possiblity though.

Back