• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broken pin on Celeron Tualatin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SimonYJ

Registered
I think I just wasted my Celeron 1.2. I was doing the mod on it to make it work on a BX board (BE6-2).

I first isolated the 3 pins only, and it would boot into windows (only if I changed "In order queue depth" to 1 in bios). I then wired the 2 necessary pins together, but in the process of re-mounting the cpu, I somehow bent & broke a pin off!! Apparently it is a vital pin because it won't even post without it.

Anyone know if it's possible to re-attach a pin on a Celeron like this? Crazy glue? Solder? Someone help me!

there was a post on this in the past couple of weeks...i can't remember who---but a few people have fixed this problem with various wires...

That's encouraging....is it possible to fix it if the pin has come completely off the chip? What I mean is that the pin did not break in half, it separated completely from the cpu.

I sure hope this thing isn't deceased. I know they are cheap to replace, but I am a starving student ; )

Hmm....there is no actual hole...just a dark spot where the base of the pin used to be, and a tiny little gold looking dot in the centre of that dark spot. At least that's what I can tell ....the tiny gold dot in the center is REALLY tiny....almost tiny enough to be a figment of my imagination ; )

I broke a pin off my old p4 1.8A ghz. Just do the ghetto pin trick on the socket. I cut the leg off an old resister and stuck it into my socket. Try to make it just slightly longer than the cpu leg so it will contact the spot on the underside of the cpu. I then clamped down my p4 and it worked again. I even prime 95d it just to make sure it was working properly.

-efini

efini - I'm not familiar with the ghetto pin trick. What do you mean when you say "so it will contact the spot on the underside of the cpu" ?? There is no actual hole all the way through the cpu. just the most minute little gold spot I have ever seen. Is that the hole you are talking about?

Simon,

The ghetto pin trick is placing a thin metal rod (such as a cutting a piece off an old capacitor, resiter etc.) and placing it in one of the holes in the cpu socket so that it is vertical. you must look at the underside of your cpu to find out which leg broke off and then place the metal piece into the according cpu socket. The rod will be vertical and make contact with the 'gold spot' on the underside of the cpu. When the lever is moved down, the cpu legs and the metal rod will make contact with the motherboard.

The rod needs to be slightly longer than the standard cpu leg since it won't be perfectly straight up in the cpu socket and it needs pressure to make a 'good' contact with the cpu. The pressure from the cpu on the long metal rod gives it the signal an conductivity to the motherboard.

-efini

I have a small piece of metal from a resistor (old 33.6 modem heheh) - and also defogger repair kit. Should I apply a few layers of this repair stuff to the place where the pin used to be, in order to build it up a bit? It just seems that the little gold spot that I'm aiming for is ridiculously tiny, and will take a miracle to actually contact it. With the defogger repair stuff I think I could effectively enlarge the contact area?

Am I right, or is this stuff not even going to be conductive enough? That little gold spot is just such a small target!!!!

Back