• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I modded my car! (lots of pics, be forewarned)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazy Jayhawk

This may be the craziest project I've done to date. I replaced my car's parking lights, taillights, and side marker lights with LEDs. I ended up using 308 LEDs - 100 yellow, 168 red, and 40 white. I also had to integrate power resistors into the system because the LEDs draw so little current that the blinker circuit thought the bulbs were burned out. Burned out bulbs = no blinking.

I'm also thinking of replacing my license plate light and dome light with Luxeon LEDs.

So without further ado, here are the pics. Some are blurry because it's hard to hold the camera still.

frontoff.jpg

In this view you can see one of the parking lights, one headlight, and one side marker light. The original parking lights had yellow plastic lenses. I replaced the lenses with clear plexiglass.

rearoff.jpg

One of the taillights. The clear section is for the reverse light.

parks.jpg

Front view with the parking lights on. I chose to go with the outline pattern because I thought it looked cool.

tail.jpg

Rear view with the taillights on.

frontmark.jpg

Parking light and marker light.

rearmark.jpg

Taillight and marker light.

Hey jayhawk I was wanting to do something similar to this on my s-10. I was wandering if you had a circuit diagram or more info of your install. Love the mod!!!:)

Basically, it's a large number of LEDs wired in parallel, each with its own resistor. Drawing the circuit diagram for that would be simple enough, but that's only part of it. I had to add relays to the front lights because otherwise, both turn signals would blink at the same time.

Your vehicle might not have that problem, but it's one of those things that I can't really explain very well.

Understandable! I will have to look at my trucks wiring and take a look. Had some of them cheap 3157 led bulbs in mine but it would keep blowing the fuses out. Man I would love to put my tinted lenses back on my truck!! Can't wait to check more into this!! Good Job man!!:)

DaveSauce said:
omg, that's awesome!!

i'm still wondering why more cars don't have LEDs by now....
Some of the newer Cadillacs have them, and so do a lot of buses and semi trucks. Also, a lot of cars have third brake lights that use LEDs.

DaveSauce said:
i'm still wondering why more cars don't have LEDs by now....

There's a simple answer to that, LED's last longer, and one or two going doesn't have too much of a detramental effect to the overall light. Both of these are good as far as the end user is concerned, but bad as far as the bulb makers are concerned. Think of how much less $$$ would be spent if LED arrays replaced light bulbs completely!!!! And couple that with the margianly lower fuel consumption (per car not an issue but when multiplied by 10000's cars it would be less) big buisness would loose out big time!!

Btw the lights look great, but are they road legal, over here a trick like that would get you pulled by every bored copper!!

nixie said:
Btw the lights look great, but are they road legal, over here a trick like that would get you pulled by every bored copper!!
As far as I know, yes. The only real restrictions are on color and brightness. The LED taillights are a lot brighter than the original ones, and because of the molded-in lenses in the light assembly it's hard to tell that they're LEDs anyway.

OK, that mod really KICKS @**!

I love LED's on cars! I think they look great. It's even better on older models!

I wonder if it would be legal to do a 'chasing directional' turn signal like the older Thunderbirds(?) used to have.

Back