• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itsjsme

Registered
I have a 21" Trinitron monitor, that is dying. It's been replaced by a brand new 17" so I'm not in dire need of a monitor, but still I'd like to refurbish my monster screen, if it's possible and cost effective. Might someone here have any experience getting this done? I'm thinking it can probably be done, but at what cost? It's flickering pretty badly, maybe just needs a new tube, but I know in a monitor there are other stuff in there. So any ideas? Thanks of course.
Jim

It's not cost effective. You'd be better off finding a 21" Trinitron on ebay or one of the other various auction sites. Check the Cyber Deals section, there was a thread about someone selling them really cheap a few days ago.

9 times out of 10, it is cheaper in the long run to buy a new one. A tech will usually charge you 65$ just to look at it. That, on top of whatever component needs replaced, plus labor (another $65/hour usually).

Then, the warrenty is usually only good for 30-90 days. (if you're lucky)

Turn it into a pretty fishbowl, get yourself a new 21", and enjoy..

Just MHO

If it's the tube then your screwed. The cost of a new one is as much as getting a new monitor. If you had some skills and could troubleshoot it down to some other component then it might be worth it, but not if you have to take it to a repair shop.

Back