• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64 DDR shared mobile video vs 32 DDR dedicated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

Of the 2 mobile video solutions which is better for some occasional gaming ( UT2003, N4 Speed2 HP, UT, RTCW). At res of 1024x768 no eye candy.

64 DDR AGP 4x - ATI Radeon Mobility shared in a laptop with 512 DDR and a Celeron 1.6 with 128 cache.

OR

32 DDR G4 420 Go Nvidia dedicated in laptop with 256 DDR and XP1800 chip.

Cisco KId

Excelsior said:
Shared!!!!

Why? prooof any linkage or just a guess.

I ask this because I purchased a notebook recently for about 1300 US but I can return it and save about 320-350 US buy buying another that uses 64 DDR shared Radeon Graphics, 1.6 celeron w 128 cache and 512 DDR vs my currenet Sony with 32 Dedicated Nvidia G4 420 Go 32 DDR, XP1800 and 256 DDR but I have another 256 on way.

At the res of 1024x768 do you think shared can support texture/detail settings with a Celeron 1.6 w 128 cache or will the whole system slow down noticeably with games such as UT 2003 vs the Sony which I know can play the games at 1024x768 even with eye candy on at a decent 30+ fps

cisco kid

i would think the dedicated ram would be a great deal better, if its shared then you are sharing the bandwidth of the cpu and system ram peaks at what, 2.1gb a sec on a 133fsb. i get better mem bandwidth than that with a gf4mx420 with sdram.

The real question is do you really want to use it on the go or let it sit on a desk A/C plugged in. For playing thoes games i would recomend somthing along the lines of this http://www.accessmicro.com/G732/index.phtml?kitid=KTLIP732#product , the batteries dont last as long as some notebooks, about 2.5hrs @ 2.2GHz. Plus you get a radeon 9000m with 64mb of deticated mem, the fastest card made for notebooks. You can even take system ram up to pc2700 (333mhz).

i recommend a prostar laptop, they come with radeon 9000 with 128mb dedicated ddr. www.prostar.com

But, i would say that the dedicated ram is always better, and the Ati 9000 is faster than the geforce4 go in laptops.

It that is just a Radeon Mobility as opposed to a Radeon 7500 or 9000 mobility then the MX420 will kicks it ***. The Radeon mobility is based on the Radeon VE and as you know has no hardware T&L. And dedicated is better imho. Shared is limited to the system ram, whereas dedicated can have full speed ram

the debate for me is settled once and for all, while out yesterday the shop from a chain where I bought my NVR23 had their last display on for $115 less than I paid for my display unit so they price matched my unit. Total cost about = 1160 US

With this savings I have just decided to keep what I have. I have also concluded the dedicated route is better than the shared solution and that the G4 420 Go is a pretty good card, better actually than the mobility 7500 solution.

Thanks for the feedback, now if I lived in the US I would buy a notebook that could be configured but I can not ....

cisco kid

I have onboard graphics with 32MB shared and it's plenty fine for occasionally gaming. I don't have an AGP port or I'd definately buy another one though! :(

Back