• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cyclone evaporation revisited...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkiFletch

hey guys, I was havin fun in my molecular biology lab yesterday with cyclone magnetic stirrers and was reminded of some threads I saw a long while back (like a year ago almoast) talking about people using cyclone evaporative coolers in place of radiators.

The idea is that you cyclone a decent amount of water in a cylindrical container (probably around a foot in diameter and foot or two tall. the cyclone creates the cool tornado effect of the water, and the fast speed of the water when exposed to ambient air causes evaporative cooling. I would imagine that a large enough one would be similar to bong cooling, yet be much quieter, cause theres no falling water sounds. anybody have any experience with these bad boys or know people who do?

EDIT: See correction by JFettig below.

PEPSI used to make direct die blocks like this that he called twisters... He dissappeared though after taking orders from people. There are rumors about his wearabouts, but those are rumors.

Volenti has experience with this though too, and I still see him around from time to time.

If you do a forum search for twister you should come up with the links... There are some REALLY long threads. If twister doesn't work those user names definetly will. :)

Last edited:
yes i will agree on that id u look up bong ull even get the threads. pepsi made some crazy stuff. they cost a lot if u want to make them out of acrylic though.

[EG]~NaTz~ said:
yes i will agree on that id u look up bong ull even get the threads. pepsi made some crazy stuff. they cost a lot if u want to make them out of acrylic though.

From what I read I thought Pepsi said you could get the materials in big blocks as scrap for really cheap? I thought that was part of the cool part about the twisters?

The threads were so long that I looked at, and it was a long time ago, so I only remember bits and pieces but were they not relatively cheap [EG]~NaTz~?

no, he made direct die waterblocks AND twisters...

skifletch: that wont work, its the spray the twister produces wich causes the evaporation and the air to flow. his last massive twister SUCKS at cooling.... a small radiator cools better.

one day, when I get a job or something, Im gonna build one!

Just a small note,

If I read correctly about that principe, water get sucked down into the lower level, wouldn't that produce an enormous suction sound? Like when you fill the sink and empty it, at the end, there is a small *vortex* which create a loud suction sound when it need more air...

Wouldn't that be REALLY loud?

no, they dont suck like that, its free flowing air.

I have made small twisters minus the spray, and a little one with the spray, the spray made it all work. that little stirring thing isnt gonna work all that well, but it could work somewhat..

Back