• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just finished installing my WD 8mb cache 120gig drive...wow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
My pII runs like a bat outta hell now...i never thought this computer could load things so fast...

I pc'marked thed hard drive and scored a 571 (good bad?)

thats from 100 even on my old hard drive...now if intel would only hurry up with my 800mhz FSB chips and springdale boards and i'd be set ;-)

Not sure about that score. Run the drive benchmark in Sandra and post your score. also, what was the drive you had before?

I just want to point out this is currently in a pentium II @ 350mhz and 128mb of PC100 ram...this is far from a "hard core system"...

I wish i would have run this bench on my old hard drive

although it's a maxtor 10gig model number 9108d5

Hdbench.JPG

**edit** i dont know why thats not showing up as a pic...

blackhabit said:
i will soon be getting a WD 8meg cache 120gig drive so i will be satisfied. glad u like yours

windows use to boot in about 2 mins, it now boots in about 30 seconds

you know i got the 8mb cache WD 80gig. i have yet to see a vast jump in speed. i guess when you tweak windows every way you can you just don't get the woosh everyone else does. like for example my wife has a pc2100 rig and the same proc but she has more ram and doesn't tweak as much but hers seems about as fast as mine. hardware upgrades make a big difference when you don't want the hassle of defragging every 3 days and spending long lonely nights searching for the net for the next definitive tweak guide. speaking fo which the "relax to righteous guide" on tweaktown is the best one ive found. anywho just felt like typing

a1cnolan said:
you know i got the 8mb cache WD 80gig. i have yet to see a vast jump in speed. i guess when you tweak windows every way you can you just don't get the woosh everyone else does. like for example my wife has a pc2100 rig and the same proc but she has more ram and doesn't tweak as much but hers seems about as fast as mine. hardware upgrades make a big difference when you don't want the hassle of defragging every 3 days and spending long lonely nights searching for the net for the next definitive tweak guide. speaking fo which the "relax to righteous guide" on tweaktown is the best one ive found. anywho just felt like typing

Speaking of defragging...after i installed all my programs (including windows) i thought i better defrag, i did it in about 10 mins...

that was about 30gigs of stuff in 10 mins...

it use to take me 2 hours to do 10gigs

hey when you defrag does it show you a bunch of empty spaces on your drive? try this program called eraser. i got it from download.com. what it does is it cleans those spaces on your drive(those spaces are "deleted files".when was the last time you undeleted something?) anyway then defrag and it will fill the holes. it sped my computer up quite a bit. try it

yeah i love my WD SE's they cruise like no other. hard to beleive that it's not the fastest IDE drive. storage review tested WD's dragon ball something whatever the new SATA one and that thing gives SCSI's a run. i mean in general not just transfer speeds

Back