• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monster 3D accellerator cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I've got a Monster 3D PCI accellerator connected to a PCI Voodoo Rush/Intense 3D Voodoo card. The Intense 3D is overclocked to 57MHz by default with the latest drivers, but I'm not sure about the Monster 3D. the Monster uses the Voodoo 1 chipset, but it get WAY hot, burning to the touch after 5 minutes of Quake 2 in OpenGL. My question is, is there ANY way of cooling these chips off? there are no holes for a cooler, and I don't see anyway of adding a heatsink to it.

You could always just put a spot of super glue or eposy on each corner and then attach a heatsink. That'll probably do the trick.

-DarkArctic

I have a Diamond Monster 3D (voodoo 1 4mb card) of my own, and this is what I did... Find a 486 heatsink, put a good sized drop of thermal goo on the back, and then with the card laying down on a flat solid surface, squeeze the heatsink down on the TMU. Push directly down, and rotate the sink slightly without wiggling it.

The chips on the V1 card are not quite flat, but I'm scared to lap the damned things. Doing it this way will force the goo to squeeze out the sides (use something that's not electrically conductive) and make the thinnest possible layer between the sink and chip without allowing air bubbles.

Once you get it on there good, use a rubberband around the card and through the little PCI "key slot" to hold it on there. Worked fine for me :)

Edit - I was able to overclock mine to 63mhz, which is enough to run Unreal (the original) at 640x480 comfortably :D :p

Sure, but how fast was the comp you played Unreal on? ;). This baby goes in my Pentium 200MHz MMX socket 7, 128MB RAM, 10baseT ethernet (ISA), ISA Reveal sound card :). UT just BARELY runs on it. :D. I don't really think that using a rubber band and the thermal paste would work. if I did that, I could only put a heatsink on one chip :eek:

The machine that houses my Voodoo Original card is a P-MMX 233, with the full 256k of L2 and 64mb of ram. It's also equipped with a Creative Labs SB16 (ISA), a 10-base NE2000 network card (ISA), a Matrox Millenium 2064W card for 2d (PCI), and a 4gb Quantum Fireball IDE drive and Creative 24x CD player.

What you're forgetting is that, back in THESE days, 30fps was the top of the line for most things. I think you're confusing this machine and this hardware with something that might halfway emulate what we have today -- and you would be mistaken.

Unreal (I didn't say unreal tournament) plays at around 20-35fps on this rig depending on what's going on. For the timeframe in which Unreal was released, this is acceptable and actually pretty good.

Maybe if I had a V2 or something, the framerates would be higher. But still, Unreal and UnrealTournament are both very CPU dependant, EVEN on today's machines. There just isn't enough CPU in a PMMX chip to delve out the frames you're expecting...

No, I really don't have any concern about the games and stuff it runs. I really am just trying to cool this sucker down. The only think that's really overclocked in it now is the CPU, I just now removed the Intense 3D Voodoo to put an ATI Rage Pro Turbo card in it; which has 8MB (I hope) instead of 6MB. Doing this will allow more air flow around the Monster 3D, as the Intense 3D was directly above it. BTW, this socket 7 mobo has a 100MHz FSB max. So it's got AGP, and it's on its way to becoming the next super gaming computer in the house :)....or at least my room :D

Back