• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel OC newbie, troubles in prime 95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbosteve

Hiya all. I'm a recent convert from AMD->unlocked XP1800 to XP2000 yada yada. I recently bought this setup and assembled:

Giga-byte 8iRXP Mobo
P4 2.53 (3245A038 chip)
Samsung DDR PC2700 333mhz 512 stick
2 WD 100gb drives striping in Raid 0
MSI Ti-4200 64mb

I'm running the stock HSF right now and have a decent case that is well ventilated, top fan 2 back ones and a side fan also a fan on the PS that sucks from right above the CPU. The heatsink NEVER gets even remotely warm, unlike my XP1800 which got quite warm. Problem is my bios says I'm idling at 56c. My XP ran that under heavy load so I dont have total faith in it.

My goal is to run a 3ghz machine stable for video conversion and some light gaming. here are my current bios settings:

Temps 56c
145 FSB

dram timing is set to 2.0 multiplier, why there is no 2.33 I dont know, there is a 2.66 for some reason. So mem runs at 288 which is 50 mhz below rating so its safe. My dram is also running at 2 6 3 3, I'm not familiar with these settings any room for improvement here? Voltage is stock.

Bus/agp - 36/72 agp voltage +.1

CPU is currently running 1.60 but behaves the same on 1.525.

When I run prime95 with lower voltage I get rounding errors real fast. so I bumped up to 1.60 and it runs all of the first test even though the CPU temp warning sound screams cause it's running above 70c or so it thinks. But I then get rounding errors again on in test 2.

Anyone have some suggestions? Should I try more voltage?

Thanks.
Steve

Prime95 seems to bring overclocks P4's to their knees pretty quickly (whether or not that's a good thing is subject to debate). Is sounds like you're pushing the limit of the stock HSF. 56C, if that is indeed the right temp, is too hot for anything more than mild overclocking. 70C is well within throttling territory, so if you increase the voltage further you will probably get _lower_ performance.

What program are you using for temperture readings? If it's MBM check to make sure you have the right sensors. If you're pretty confident about those temps, then I would say try a better heatsink.

Back