• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator / Heat Core, pump question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iamdevil

Registered
I've tried whole night searching for some tips on water cooling and now I got a few questions about the radiator or heat core.

I've tried two WC kit before, one is the evercool and the other is the swiftech kit. But this time I want to try to DIY as much component as I could or at least choose the parts that I want instead of getting the preconfig ones.

My goal is to have a CPU, GPU, NB water block, a pump that is powerful enough to do that and a good radiator. And also, everything has to fit into that small case would be best since I don't like to have too much things outside of my case and I also got a dog a cat :(

My current setup is:
1. 1700+/MSI 6380 Pro2(gonna change to 2100+/A7N8X deluxe or 8RDA+)
2. CD-ROM(SCSI), CD-RW, DVD-RW, 100mb intermal ZIP
3. 2 80gb RAID + a 60 - 200gb hdd in a hdd rack
4. GF4, SCSI card, RAID card, Ethernetcard, SB Live

As you can see, my case is already crowded(actually no empty bay for me to install another thing), but after I got the new MB, I will get rid of the SCSI/CD-ROM, ethernet, SB live, zip and make the dvd-rw external so it will save some space, but still won't fit the recommand heat core(86 chevy) with a eheim pump..... :(

I know heat core is better then those commercial made radiator for WC, but the thing is I have a Lian-Li PC60/65 tower case which is already small enough and after I read some of the posts I found with "search", I found out that the 86 chevy heat core is probably too large for me to fit in the case. So is there any smaller heat core at all in the market?? Autozone can only search parts by car model and I don't even know which one got the smallest size.

If heat core can't be fit in my case, what other choice I have? I kinda don't want to spend much on the radiator because I am thinking of getting the white water CPU black so I have to spend less on other component.

As for the pump, I was thinking the Eheim 1250, but I also found out it is huge :) so I am not too sure now. I also found that people uses the Via and the Maxjet one, and since they are both much cheaper the Eheim and smaller then the eheim 1205, I might have to go with those two. But the thing is which one should I choose??

Any help would be great or any suggestion would be nice.. First time putting custom/DIY water cooling parts together instead of getting the kit, so kinda worried here :)

Well, I wouldn't overlook the Swiftech pump. It has good flow. It isn't as much as the 1250, but I think it's relatively close. It also runs cool(at least it feels cool to me) and is supersmall(comes with a suction cup base and a velcro strap with metal brackets so you can mount it at almost any angle)

It's expensive though. I've heard those Via's run hot but get great flow. As for Rads, well, might want to look into the Black Ice Extreme. it won't get you as much transfer as a heater core, but I wouldn't call it a slouch either. Is an external setup out of the question?

Just my $0.02 :D

Oh and welcome to the forums! I'm new here too, but i've found alot of really helpful people around here that are happy to answer any questions you have.

And as always, the Search option is your friend if you want to look for something specific :)

Back